Jim Thompson

Default "Sorry I dialed the wrong Number." Calls ????????

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 00:16:20 GMT, (Tom Miller)
wrote:

wrote:

| Recently we have been getting numerous phone calls that as soon as you
| answer only has a recording with a -sweet_ woman's voice saying:
| "Sorry I dialed the wrong number."
|
| You hear this before you get a chance to say anything and there is an
| immediat4 hang up! Is this a new way telemarketers are getting back
| at folks who are on the national l do not call list?
|
| There are several of these calls received each a day! If they know
| they dialed the wrong number before you answer, why do they dial the
| wrong number in the beginning?
|
| It's probably automated equipment looking for fax numbers to compile a
| list for junk faxers.
|
| I can remember a few occasions when each of my three lines would ring
| in turn, with a fax tone when answered.
|
| My answer to junk faxers is to send them 10 pages of solid black (easy
| to do with WinFax, gets their attention right away
|
| ...Jim Thompson

How do you get their fax number? In over twelve years I've never
gotten a junk fax with a return number on it and when I use caller ID
the numbers are blocked.

MOST of the ones I receive have fax-back numbers where you fill in the
blanks and send back to them. Usually a different number from the
origination number. (I block all fax that don't have CSID *and* CID.)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |