Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default The Houston Gang An update 8/30

On Saturday, September 2, 2017 at 12:53:15 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 9/2/2017 11:42 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Saturday, September 2, 2017 at 12:01:56 PM UTC-4, woodchucker wrote:
On 9/1/2017 2:01 PM, wrote:
On Friday, September 1, 2017 at 12:20:42 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

The link above is a shallow point. East of here they expect water to be
around for weeks.

Got an email from my sister. Still no electricity in her neighborhood, but "all of the sudden", the water is receding in their house. They are driving around now, but mostly looking for other places to live. Apartments are lasting (literally) just several minutes when put on the apartment finder pages or on someone's facebook page. She responded within 15 minutes of a posting on a facebook page, and she was already aced out of the unit.

FEMA assessors still haven't made it to their neighborhood as they were considered "moderate" flooding with only 4-7 feet of water in the neighborhood, and only 2' in their house. No word on when they will have a meeting, but she said the govt folks are pouring into the city.

This is going to be a long, long process of recovery that won't really have a direction for another several months.

Robert

I would go up north and buy an RV, and put that on my property so I
could be there to restore.
The RV would then be a weekend user, or sell it.
Much better than being away from the house.

--
Jeff

From what I understand, many of the worst damage was done in areas where
many of the people can't afford to rebuild, never mind buy a "spare house".

Not true

If I extrapolated what I heard correctly, the poorest neighborhoods are in
areas most likely to flood because those that could afford to built/bought
on the higher ground. In addition, many of the people (rich and poor) don't
have flood insurance (or enough insurance) to cover the damage.

Actually the richest neighborhoods are along Buffalo bayou, the one that
is expected to be out of its banks for weeks on end. This was a non
discriminatory flood.

It is true that the vast majority do not have flood insurance, only 1 in
6 have it. I absolutely feel sorry for the poor that do not have flood
insurance, not so much for the rich that do not have flood insurance. I
will always have it regardless of my elevation. I could be 100' feet
higher than my close neighborhoods and if debris blocks storm drains I
might flood before they do. This actually happened about 10 years ago
when a tornado went through our and neighboring neighborhoods followed
by about 3" of hard rain. The lower neighborhoods drained quickly, our
neighborhood flooded and it normally took 10+" to flood.

Being able to stay on your property and rebuild at the same time is probably
a luxury few can afford.

Absolutely

Well, at least I got that last part right. ;-)