Old August 29th 17, 02:47 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Default The Houston Gang

Just touching in, we have been busy watching the news and hunkering
down. This has been an event. While this is nothing to take lightly
there are some of us that are doing just fine.

I have personally emptied our rain gauge of 31.25" since Saturday
morning. This link shows my house and Tundra from a neighbors house
just about an hour ago.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

So far we have no friends or relatives that have gotten any water in
their homes. There is a lot of luck involved in that but before
building our home I studied the flood plane maps before choosing a lot
and even then I chose a lot on the high point of the street.

I just heard on NBC nightly news that we can expect 20+ more inches. I
seriously doubt that wee will get even close to half that. We have
received 6" since 10:00 last night and local forecasters expect this to
mostly be done by early tomorrow evening, at least in the immediate
Houston area. The areas you are mostly seeing on the news are the south
east side of Houston. That area got rain at a rate of 5" per hour.

This is a tragic event for millions of Houstonians and it will take
years to recover. I have lived through events like this and it is life
changing.

Anyway, thank you to all that have called and texted, I appreciate your
concerns but this time around I believe my wife and I, our relatives,
and friends have dodged the bullet.

A mile north of our neighborhood and a mile east of our neighborhood we
have been listening to air boats, yesterday and most all of today,
evacuating residents from their neighborhoods. This hit close.

Leon

Old August 29th 17, 03:12 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/28/2017 8:47 PM, Leon wrote:
Just touching in, we have been busy watching the news and hunkering
down.* This has been an event.* While this is nothing to take lightly
there are some of us that are doing just fine.

I have personally emptied our rain gauge of 31.25" since Saturday
morning.* This link shows my house and Tundra from a neighbors house
just about an hour ago.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

So far we have no friends or relatives that have gotten any water in
their homes.* There is a lot of luck involved in that but before
building our home I studied the flood plane maps before choosing a lot
and even then I chose a lot on the high point of the street.

Thanks for the update. Hope is stays OK for you.

Our town was severely flooded in the hurricane of 1955, long before I
moved here. One thing that helped me decide when I bought this house is
the street in back of me is 20 feet lower than my house, the river
another 20 feet below that.
Old August 29th 17, 03:13 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 19:47:56 -0500, Leon [email protected]
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the update Leon - glad you are OK. Stay safe.
We have friends in Conroe - who we just talked to - so far so good.
John T. in Canada

Old August 29th 17, 03:28 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/28/17 7:47 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Good to hear you are ok!

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Old August 29th 17, 03:56 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, August 28, 2017 at 8:48:08 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
Just touching in, we have been busy watching the news and hunkering
down. This has been an event. While this is nothing to take lightly
there are some of us that are doing just fine.

I have personally emptied our rain gauge of 31.25" since Saturday
morning. This link shows my house and Tundra from a neighbors house
just about an hour ago.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

So far we have no friends or relatives that have gotten any water in
their homes. There is a lot of luck involved in that but before
building our home I studied the flood plane maps before choosing a lot
and even then I chose a lot on the high point of the street.

I'm glad to hear that you and yours are OK.

My house is about 120' above a bay connected to one of the Great Lakes.
From the end of my street I can look almost straight down on the roofs of
the houses on the water. A bunch of years ago I got a letter from the company that held our mortgage informing us that our property is in a FEMA designated
flood zone and that if I didn't show proof of flood insurance, they were
going to buy the insurance for me.

I tried to imagine what it would be like if my property ever got flooded.
You say that you heard air boats a mile away? Less than a mile from me the
houses would be 100' under water! We're talking a flood of biblical
proportions.

I called them the next day and found out that they had made a minor
administrative error. They had sent the letter to every customer that had a
mortgage with them. They told me to ignore it, but it took them 3 months to
send a follow-up letter admitting their mistake. That makes me wonder how
many of their customers believed them and actually went out and got flood
insurance. I wonder if they reimbursed them.

Old August 29th 17, 04:36 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, August 28, 2017 at 7:48:08 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
[...]

Take care, Leon. Good thoughts your way.
Old August 29th 17, 05:04 AM posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

I'm glad to hear that you and yours are OK.

My house is about 120' above a bay connected to one of the Great
Lakes. From the end of my street I can look almost straight down on
the roofs of the houses on the water. A bunch of years ago I got a
letter from the company that held our mortgage informing us that our
property is in a FEMA designated flood zone and that if I didn't show
proof of flood insurance, they were going to buy the insurance for me.

I tried to imagine what it would be like if my property ever got
flooded. You say that you heard air boats a mile away? Less than a
mile from me the houses would be 100' under water! We're talking a
flood of biblical proportions.

I called them the next day and found out that they had made a minor
administrative error. They had sent the letter to every customer that
had a mortgage with them. They told me to ignore it, but it took them
3 months to send a follow-up letter admitting their mistake. That
makes me wonder how many of their customers believed them and actually
went out and got flood insurance. I wonder if they reimbursed them.

Ah yes, the good ol' Noah flood zone.

Wonder how many of their customers are still paying for flood insurance
even though it's not needed?

Puckdropper
Old August 29th 17, 12:45 PM posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Leon, glad to hear you are okay. As you said, so many are not.

Its at times like this we realize just how much we actually need each other.
Old August 29th 17, 04:15 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Leon [email protected] wrote:

[...]

It's good to hear you and your neighbors remain pretty much
unscathed! Looking back, do you think a mandatory evacuation should
have been issued by Houston's mayor before Harvey made landfall?

I've not heard _anything_ on the news as to metro Houston's tap
water, is it safe to drink or bottled water only?

Storm chaser, Jeff Piotrowski live-streamed the most incredible video
from the eye-wall - briefly in Fulton:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/U4fUdJBlrtQ?autoplay=1

.... then from Rockport during landfall:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/OH-l83EUsIw?autoplay=1
Old August 29th 17, 05:09 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/29/17 5:45 AM, Dr. Deb wrote:

Leon, glad to hear you are okay. As you said, so many are not.

Its at times like this we realize just how much we actually need each other.

Interesting you say that.
This is an article about a family from my church.
Check out her quote near the end of the article. :-)

http://www.wsmv.com/story/36236331/franklin-family-visiting-texas-faces-difficult-decision-on-whether-to-leave

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)