Posted to rec.woodworking

Default The Houston Gang

Just touching in, we have been busy watching the news and hunkering
down. This has been an event. While this is nothing to take lightly
there are some of us that are doing just fine.

I have personally emptied our rain gauge of 31.25" since Saturday
morning. This link shows my house and Tundra from a neighbors house
just about an hour ago.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

So far we have no friends or relatives that have gotten any water in
their homes. There is a lot of luck involved in that but before
building our home I studied the flood plane maps before choosing a lot
and even then I chose a lot on the high point of the street.

I just heard on NBC nightly news that we can expect 20+ more inches. I
seriously doubt that wee will get even close to half that. We have
received 6" since 10:00 last night and local forecasters expect this to
mostly be done by early tomorrow evening, at least in the immediate
Houston area. The areas you are mostly seeing on the news are the south
east side of Houston. That area got rain at a rate of 5" per hour.

This is a tragic event for millions of Houstonians and it will take
years to recover. I have lived through events like this and it is life
changing.

Anyway, thank you to all that have called and texted, I appreciate your
concerns but this time around I believe my wife and I, our relatives,
and friends have dodged the bullet.

A mile north of our neighborhood and a mile east of our neighborhood we
have been listening to air boats, yesterday and most all of today,
evacuating residents from their neighborhoods. This hit close.

Leon

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/28/2017 8:47 PM, Leon wrote:
Just touching in, we have been busy watching the news and hunkering
down.Â* This has been an event.Â* While this is nothing to take lightly
there are some of us that are doing just fine.

I have personally emptied our rain gauge of 31.25" since Saturday
morning.Â* This link shows my house and Tundra from a neighbors house
just about an hour ago.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

So far we have no friends or relatives that have gotten any water in
their homes.Â* There is a lot of luck involved in that but before
building our home I studied the flood plane maps before choosing a lot
and even then I chose a lot on the high point of the street.

Thanks for the update. Hope is stays OK for you.

Our town was severely flooded in the hurricane of 1955, long before I
moved here. One thing that helped me decide when I bought this house is
the street in back of me is 20 feet lower than my house, the river
another 20 feet below that.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 19:47:56 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the update Leon - glad you are OK. Stay safe.
We have friends in Conroe - who we just talked to - so far so good.
John T. in Canada

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/28/17 7:47 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Good to hear you are ok!

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, August 28, 2017 at 8:48:08 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
Just touching in, we have been busy watching the news and hunkering
down. This has been an event. While this is nothing to take lightly
there are some of us that are doing just fine.

I have personally emptied our rain gauge of 31.25" since Saturday
morning. This link shows my house and Tundra from a neighbors house
just about an hour ago.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

So far we have no friends or relatives that have gotten any water in
their homes. There is a lot of luck involved in that but before
building our home I studied the flood plane maps before choosing a lot
and even then I chose a lot on the high point of the street.

I'm glad to hear that you and yours are OK.

My house is about 120' above a bay connected to one of the Great Lakes.
From the end of my street I can look almost straight down on the roofs of
the houses on the water. A bunch of years ago I got a letter from the company that held our mortgage informing us that our property is in a FEMA designated
flood zone and that if I didn't show proof of flood insurance, they were
going to buy the insurance for me.

I tried to imagine what it would be like if my property ever got flooded.
You say that you heard air boats a mile away? Less than a mile from me the
houses would be 100' under water! We're talking a flood of biblical
proportions.

I called them the next day and found out that they had made a minor
administrative error. They had sent the letter to every customer that had a
mortgage with them. They told me to ignore it, but it took them 3 months to
send a follow-up letter admitting their mistake. That makes me wonder how
many of their customers believed them and actually went out and got flood
insurance. I wonder if they reimbursed them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, August 28, 2017 at 7:48:08 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
[...]

Take care, Leon. Good thoughts your way.
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

I'm glad to hear that you and yours are OK.

My house is about 120' above a bay connected to one of the Great
Lakes. From the end of my street I can look almost straight down on
the roofs of the houses on the water. A bunch of years ago I got a
letter from the company that held our mortgage informing us that our
property is in a FEMA designated flood zone and that if I didn't show
proof of flood insurance, they were going to buy the insurance for me.

I tried to imagine what it would be like if my property ever got
flooded. You say that you heard air boats a mile away? Less than a
mile from me the houses would be 100' under water! We're talking a
flood of biblical proportions.

I called them the next day and found out that they had made a minor
administrative error. They had sent the letter to every customer that
had a mortgage with them. They told me to ignore it, but it took them
3 months to send a follow-up letter admitting their mistake. That
makes me wonder how many of their customers believed them and actually
went out and got flood insurance. I wonder if they reimbursed them.

Ah yes, the good ol' Noah flood zone.

Wonder how many of their customers are still paying for flood insurance
even though it's not needed?

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Leon, glad to hear you are okay. As you said, so many are not.

Its at times like this we realize just how much we actually need each other.
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

It's good to hear you and your neighbors remain pretty much
unscathed! Looking back, do you think a mandatory evacuation should
have been issued by Houston's mayor before Harvey made landfall?

I've not heard _anything_ on the news as to metro Houston's tap
water, is it safe to drink or bottled water only?

Storm chaser, Jeff Piotrowski live-streamed the most incredible video
from the eye-wall - briefly in Fulton:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/U4fUdJBlrtQ?autoplay=1

.... then from Rockport during landfall:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/OH-l83EUsIw?autoplay=1
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/29/17 5:45 AM, Dr. Deb wrote:

Leon, glad to hear you are okay. As you said, so many are not.

Its at times like this we realize just how much we actually need each other.

Interesting you say that.
This is an article about a family from my church.
Check out her quote near the end of the article. :-)

http://www.wsmv.com/story/36236331/franklin-family-visiting-texas-faces-difficult-decision-on-whether-to-leave

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

LOOTING - When free housing, welfare checks, free food and free
education just aren't enough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UDEQ1JKPYA

Stay strong, Texas! https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DIUuAWOWsAAtYry.jpg

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, August 29, 2017 at 9:15:34 AM UTC-5, Spalted Walt wrote:

It's good to hear you and your neighbors remain pretty much
unscathed! Looking back, do you think a mandatory evacuation should
have been issued by Houston's mayor before Harvey made landfall?

I grew up in Houston and was there during some of the worst storms they have had. They have decades of experience in how to handle this type of situation, from hurricanes, tropical storms, and their attendant wind and flood damage.

This has been explained carefully to the people of Texas, addressed by our governor and the mayor of Houston. They have had evacuations before, and that added more trauma, deaths, and impossible rescue situations. Houston and the surrounding areas have a lot of low lying areas and constantly flowing waterways.

When they flood, they the people fleeing are in panic. It isn't a controlled classroom evacuation where each child waits their turn to exit. It is full blown panic with everyone trying to save themselves and their families. So an evacuation order would have put literally MILLIONS of people on the road (pop. Houston metropolitan are 3 million, Houston proper 2.4) causing a complete deadlock of traffic. Millions would be trapped in their vehicles. Now add the people fleeing our coastlines that travel through Houston to get away; some fleeing due to their good sense, and others from mandatory orders to evacuate.

Next, add all the rest of the people fleeing all the surrounding cities and counties. What they are missing in the national news feed is that the flooding extended 150 miles around Houston. 30 minutes from my house, one of the rivers is 10' out of its "flood stage mark. 125 miles from Houston, the Colorado river is some unbelievable number of feet out of its bank, and has not risen to this height in over 100 years. People that have never seen flooding are leaving their houses and businesses as they have several feet of water in them, adding to more highway jams.

If you notice, since so many rescues were required during the last catastrophic flooding, there are very few vehicles on the streets this time. The highways are vacant. The advice to Houstonians was to "shelter in place". This has allowed not only professionals to have access to roadways (now serving as boatways) without worrying about people trapped in their vehicles in miles long traffic jams.

It is REMARKABLE that this strategy has worked so well. The people in Houston and the surrounding areas have banded together to rescue as many as possible. I have the local news on now, and they just said from the Houston affiliate that they are now receiving 1,000 calls an hour for emergency rescues.

Just as remarkable, and for those doubting the strategy, think about this:

No one saw this storm turning around three times. It is the worst tropical storm/hurricane in history at this point, and it is far from finished. Yet, it has claimed to this point only 3 deaths. It is awful to have any, but considering the circumstances it is incredible to have single digit loss of life.

I've not heard _anything_ on the news as to metro Houston's tap
water, is it safe to drink or bottled water only?

My sister lives in the area of Houston that was the hardest hit. She has one of the highest elevation houses in the higher elevation area of the floods. They had about 4' of water in their front yard/street, and about 2' in their house. Down the street, there are houses with 6-8' of water in them.. The water us receding, and some areas of Houston are opening up, despite the rain.

They have no power, no food, most people have no way to cook or heat anything,no fresh water, and there is a "boil" order in effect for any water you get that doesn't come from a sealed container. I would like to take them some supplies, but they have advised that the city wants to keep the highways clear for the traffic that NEEDS to go in and out of the city. I am hoping to be able to make it there by the weekend.

Here in San Antonio (they are three hours away, in Texas terms "down the road"), they have mounted a fleet of buses and are going to bring about 12,000 refugees to our shelters from Houston to add to the 4,000 we have from the coastal communities. That will take some time and highway, as we are still getting refugees from areas that were destroyed by high winds.

The State and Federal workers with the aid stations, hot kitchens, supplies, clothing and equipment need the roadways to be as clear as possible so they can perform their tasks. There are 6,000 State/Federal workers staging out of San Antonio now to work the coast/Houston/outlying areas as needed.

And it is still raining...

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/29/2017 9:15 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:
[...]

Absolutely not. In 2005 just weeks after the Katrina disaster that hit
New Orleans Houston was faced with hurricane Rita. Needless to say
images of Katrina were still on all of us Hustonians minds. Evacuations
might be ok if you have a few weeks to do so. A certain Dr. Neil Frank
weather guy on TV indicated that this storm was going to be worst than
Katrina and the Houston was going to be a direct target. Houston would
be "devastated", get out NOW.

IIRC some two million residents began evacuation 3 days before expected
land fall. The highways were so over loaded that most people sat in a
bumper to bumper parking lot that probably stretched 100 miles in some
places. Vehicles ran out of gas on the highway while sitting 24-48
hours waiting to get no where. Many people died in their vehicles as a
result. Unnecessary deaths that today I point the finger at the good
Dr. Yo do not flee winds. If you have time you flee rising water.
We did not have time.

I've not heard _anything_ on the news as to metro Houston's tap
water, is it safe to drink or bottled water only?

With the exception of a very few cases the water is good. A couple of
days before Harvey hit here our MUD president informed me that they had
a back up generator for drinking water and one for the waste water plant.

Storm chaser, Jeff Piotrowski live-streamed the most incredible video
from the eye-wall - briefly in Fulton:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/U4fUdJBlrtQ?autoplay=1

... then from Rockport during landfall:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/OH-l83EUsIw?autoplay=1

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/29/2017 1:19 PM, wrote:
[...]

All well said but the death toll has added a police officer that left to
do his duty despite his wife's suggestion to not go into work today.
His answer to her was that he had a job to do. His patrol car stalled
in a swift water crossing and he drwoned.

A true HERO in every sense of the word. Our prayers go to his wife and
family.

In a similar situation a van with grand parents and several children
that were evacuating was swept away. An uncle the driver was able to
escape and cling to a tree for an hour before being rescued. The van
has not been found.

Unfortunately there will probably be countless more deaths.

Again our prayers go out to those families that are affected.

[...]

Actually in the west Houston area the sun has been out most of this
afternoon. We believe the rain event is over for the western Houston
area. This rain event is now being called an 800 year rain event. To
understand how much water has been dropped, 9 Trillion gallons that is
how much water goes over Niagra Falls in two weeks, would cover the
entire United States with just over 1/8" of water.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/28/2017 7:47 PM, Leon wrote:
Just touching in, we have been busy watching the news and hunkering
down.Â* This has been an event.Â* While this is nothing to take lightly
there are some of us that are doing just fine.

I have personally emptied our rain gauge of 31.25" since Saturday
morning.Â* This link shows my house and Tundra from a neighbors house
just about an hour ago.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

So far we have no friends or relatives that have gotten any water in
their homes.Â* There is a lot of luck involved in that but before
building our home I studied the flood plane maps before choosing a lot
and even then I chose a lot on the high point of the street.

I just heard on NBC nightly news that we can expect 20+ more inches.Â* I
seriously doubt that wee will get even close to half that.Â* We have
received 6" since 10:00 last night and local forecasters expect this to
mostly be done by early tomorrow evening, at least in the immediate
Houston area.Â* The areas you are mostly seeing on the news are the south
east side of Houston.Â* That area got rain at a rate of 5" per hour.

This is a tragic event for millions of Houstonians and it will take
years to recover.Â* I have lived through events like this and it is life
changing.

Anyway,Â* thank you to all that have called and texted, I appreciate your
concerns but this time around I believe my wife and I, our relatives,
and friends have dodged the bullet.

A mile north of our neighborhood and a mile east of our neighborhood we
have been listening to air boats, yesterday and most all of today,
evacuating residents from their neighborhoods.Â* This hit close.

Leon

Thank you all for your kind and supporting words. This is only the
first 4 days of an extremely long trip to recovery. It will take
several years.

Please continue to put all in your prayers.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 29/08/2017 10:47 @wiz, Leon wrote:

Anyway,Â* thank you to all that have called and texted, I appreciate your
concerns but this time around I believe my wife and I, our relatives,
and friends have dodged the bullet.

A mile north of our neighborhood and a mile east of our neighborhood we
have been listening to air boats, yesterday and most all of today,
evacuating residents from their neighborhoods.Â* This hit close.

Glad to read you all are safe.
Been worried sick about a few cyberfriends I have in Houston.
What a dangerous time for all!

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Thank you, Leon and Robert for your detailed reply. Clearly, the
logistics of evacuating that many people in such a short period of
time would be imposable.

It's also clear reporters need to stop this crap with pushing a
microphone in the face of victims of this disaster.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQnNohhMXNk

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/30/2017 6:31 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:
[...]

A few reporters are doing a good job but most are just taking up space
on the boats and are of no help at all. This is an extremely bad time
for the people being evacuated and they don't need to be asked what they
think.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Good to hear you and yours are safe and unflooded. Hope it stays that
way and rain clears out soon.

My neighbor left early yesterday morning to assist down there. He
works with one of the organizations that provides support in areas
requiring relief. Supposed to be there at least two weeks depending on
need and supplies. I give him credit for jumping to anywhere in the
world help is needed, although for his group, it's more frequently in
the USA as of the last few years.

We're all hoping to see a little less of this drastic stuff for a
while. Been too much these last several years.

Be well!

[...]

---
http://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default The Houston Gang An update 8/30

I has not rained in the Houston are in the past 24 hours. In our
immediate area it is almost like it did not happen.
Streets in adjacent neighborhoods, south of the Barker reservoir are
seeing the water empty from their streets quickly.

We are 1 mile south of the reservoir.

This morning I walked up to and over the reservoir and down the other
side. It is still flooded but, thank GOD, the water is receding. I
went there to specifically look for a high water mark. And fortunately
it was there indicating that the high point has been reached, probably
3~4 feet from spilling over the spillway. The limit is 104.4', I think
it crested at around 110.5'

And this picture, taken this morning, looks great compared to thousands
of other places in the Houston area.
This is the top of the Barker Reservoir on the SW end of the
levee/spillway at Peek Road, for those that are familiar.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

This is the shallow end of the reservoir it goes about 5~8 miles east
and north from here and only gets deeper.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/30/2017 1:23 PM, Leon wrote:

And this picture, taken this morning, looks great compared to thousands
of other places in the Houston area.
This is the top of the Barker Reservoir on the SW end of the
levee/spillway at Peek Road, for those that are familiar.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

This is the shallow end of the reservoir it goes about 5~8 miles east
and north from here and only gets deeper.

Post an update when someone tried to drive across the road.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/30/2017 3:14 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/30/2017 1:23 PM, Leon wrote:

And this picture, taken this morning, looks great compared to
thousands of other places in the Houston area.
This is the top of the Barker Reservoir on the SW end of the
levee/spillway at Peek Road, for those that are familiar.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

This is the shallow end of the reservoir it goes about 5~8 miles east
and north from here and only gets deeper.

Post an update when someone tried to drive across the road.

If you watch TV and see the stranded cars, that was the drivers trying
to cross the road. The water came up that quickly. If you are driving
in 6~10 water and you engine stalls, you are toast.
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Not sure what to say here guys, but best wishes to all of you. I'm very glad to hear that many of you are still doing OK. The entire country is pulling for you.

Slainte, from Boston.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/30/2017 4:00 PM, Steve wrote:

Not sure what to say here guys, but best wishes to all of you. I'm very glad to hear that many of you are still doing OK. The entire country is pulling for you.

Slainte, from Boston.

Thank you Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Videos of the neighborhood 1 mile east of where I live.

On 8/28/2017 7:47 PM, Leon wrote:

About 1 mile east of our neighborhood.

This was probably taken yesterday or on Monday. I drove most of this
area this morning on dry streets. This neighborhood was lucky compared
to most of the bad areas.

Drone video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDcN...ature=youtu.be

And the Cajun Navy, volunteers from Louisiana, which helped rescue
residents out of this same neighborhood. We listened to these air boats
most of Sunday and Monday. The water did not rise as high as expected
so this neighborhood dodged the bullet.

This was taken probably 2 days before the drone video above.

This video ends approximately 1/2 mile east of our house.
The water in our street came up over our curb but not quite to the
sidewalk that runs parallel to the street. We were exceptionally lucky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sucaDVbz70

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/30/2017 1:23 PM, Leon wrote:

[...]

What amazes me is how little water is around after 5 FEET of rain. If
Pgh got 5 feet of rain, everything not on a mountain top would be under
100 feet of water. We got 4 INCHES of rain in an hour once, and the
valley between my house and the next mountain got a 20 foot wall of
water that killed a bunch of people, including my uncle, when their
vehicles got washed away.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/1/2017 10:25 AM, Jack wrote:
On 8/30/2017 1:23 PM, Leon wrote:

I has not rained in the Houston are in the past 24 hours.Â* In our
immediate area it is almost like it did not happen.
Streets in adjacent neighborhoods, south of the Barker reservoir are
seeing the water empty from their streets quickly.

We are 1 mile south of the reservoir.

This morning I walked up to and over the reservoir and down the other
side.Â* It is still flooded but, thank GOD, the water is receding.Â* I
went there to specifically look for a high water mark.Â* And fortunately
it was there indicating that the high point has been reached, probably
3~4 feet from spilling over the spillway.Â* The limit is 104.4', I think
it crested at around 110.5'

And this picture, taken this morning, looks great compared to thousands
of other places in the Houston area.
This is the top of the Barker Reservoir on the SW end of the
levee/spillway at Peek Road, for those that are familiar.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

This is the shallow end of the reservoir it goes about 5~8 miles east
and north from here and only gets deeper.

What amazes me is how little water is around after 5 FEET of rain.Â* If
Pgh got 5 feet of rain, everything not on a mountain top would be under
100 feet of water.Â* We got 4 INCHES of rain in an hour once, and the
valley between my house and the next mountain got a 20 foot wall of
water that killed a bunch of people, including my uncle, when their
vehicles got washed away.

The link above is a shallow point. East of here they expect water to be
around for weeks.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, September 1, 2017 at 12:20:42 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

The link above is a shallow point. East of here they expect water to be
around for weeks.

Got an email from my sister. Still no electricity in her neighborhood, but "all of the sudden", the water is receding in their house. They are driving around now, but mostly looking for other places to live. Apartments are lasting (literally) just several minutes when put on the apartment finder pages or on someone's facebook page. She responded within 15 minutes of a posting on a facebook page, and she was already aced out of the unit.

FEMA assessors still haven't made it to their neighborhood as they were considered "moderate" flooding with only 4-7 feet of water in the neighborhood, and only 2' in their house. No word on when they will have a meeting, but she said the govt folks are pouring into the city.

This is going to be a long, long process of recovery that won't really have a direction for another several months.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 01-Sep-17 10:25 AM, Jack wrote:

What amazes me is how little water is around after 5 FEET of rain. If
Pgh got 5 feet of rain, everything not on a mountain top would be under
100 feet of water. We got 4 INCHES of rain in an hour once, and the
valley between my house and the next mountain got a 20 foot wall of
water that killed a bunch of people, including my uncle, when their
vehicles got washed away.

Terrain makes all the difference, indeed--we were in Lynchburg, VA, when
Camille dumped 24-30+" in 8 hours overnight in 1969 in the heart of
Nelson County in the Blue Ridge Mountains. It killed some 150-160,
liquified and washed away whole small mountains and massively changed
the landscape...but, because it's all mountainous, when the surge
passed, except in the bottoms there was virtually no standing water,
just mud and debris.

Most horrible experience of my life doing recovery work in the aftermath...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, August 28, 2017 at 7:48:08 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
Just touching in, we have been busy watching the news and hunkering
down. This has been an event. While this is nothing to take lightly
there are some of us that are doing just fine.

Glad to hear all's well. I have lots of relatives in & about Houston. Only one cousin's daughter's home was flooded. All others are doing okay, damage-wise. A few are without power, but are staying with family.

I had kept some tabs with the goings-on, mainly with the Lafayette area. Only about 5" of rain, here. Seems Lafayette was between the severe rain bands. Not until I got home did I discover I-10 was closed past the state line to Houston. I was told most of Beaumont is under water. That's serious flooding. Driving through town, I noticed more/congested traffic, than normal, lots of Texas plates on vehicles.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, August 30, 2017 at 12:23:24 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

This morning I walked up to and over the reservoir and down the other
side.

You walked?

And this picture, taken this morning,

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

That your Tundra ruts? Is that why you were walking? Kinna like at the farm, at times, when certain nephews are driving.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/1/2017 4:33 PM, Sonny wrote:
On Wednesday, August 30, 2017 at 12:23:24 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

This morning I walked up to and over the reservoir and down the other
side.

You walked?

LOL, yeah, I walk a lot for health reasons.

And this picture, taken this morning,

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

That your Tundra ruts? Is that why you were walking? Kinna like at the farm, at times, when certain nephews are driving.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/1/2017 3:31 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

For sure. My wife's uncle lived in a valley, the same valley where my
uncle drowned when his car washed away in a flash flood. The water
filled his basement, and 3 feet in his first floor. A chest of drawers
in his basement had all the drawers filled perfectly smooth to the top
with mud. All the electric outlets which looked fine, were packed
perfectly smooth with the mud when you took off the cover plates. His
yard had at least 2 feet of mud and debris covering his grass and
garden. It was a real mess, everything stunk to high heaven, and took an
incredible amount of work to get back to normal.

My uncle, who was 84 years old, had stopped to get gas. He lived on top
of a mountain, but was getting gas at the bottom of the valley. An eye
witness said he was pumping gas when suddenly the water started pouring
over the creek next to him. He jumped in his car to drive out of it,
and a huge wall of water washed him and his car 5 miles down the valley.
Took them 4 days to find him in his car, covered in mud and debris. All
from 4 lousy inches of rain.
--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, September 2, 2017 at 12:01:56 PM UTC-4, woodchucker wrote:
On 9/1/2017 2:01 PM, wrote:
[...]

I would go up north and buy an RV, and put that on my property so I
could be there to restore.
The RV would then be a weekend user, or sell it.
Much better than being away from the house.

--
Jeff

From what I understand, many of the worst damage was done in areas where
many of the people can't afford to rebuild, never mind buy a "spare house".

If I extrapolated what I heard correctly, the poorest neighborhoods are in
areas most likely to flood because those that could afford to built/bought
on the higher ground. In addition, many of the people (rich and poor) don't
have flood insurance (or enough insurance) to cover the damage.

Being able to stay on your property and rebuild at the same time is probably
a luxury few can afford.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/1/2017 2:01 PM, wrote:
[...]

From what I understand, many of the worst damage was done in areas where
many of the people can't afford to rebuild, never mind buy a "spare house".

Not true

If I extrapolated what I heard correctly, the poorest neighborhoods are in
areas most likely to flood because those that could afford to built/bought
on the higher ground. In addition, many of the people (rich and poor) don't
have flood insurance (or enough insurance) to cover the damage.

Actually the richest neighborhoods are along Buffalo bayou, the one that
is expected to be out of its banks for weeks on end. This was a non
discriminatory flood.

It is true that the vast majority do not have flood insurance, only 1 in
6 have it. I absolutely feel sorry for the poor that do not have flood
insurance, not so much for the rich that do not have flood insurance. I
will always have it regardless of my elevation. I could be 100' feet
higher than my close neighborhoods and if debris blocks storm drains I
might flood before they do. This actually happened about 10 years ago
when a tornado went through our and neighboring neighborhoods followed
by about 3" of hard rain. The lower neighborhoods drained quickly, our
neighborhood flooded and it normally took 10+" to flood.

Being able to stay on your property and rebuild at the same time is probably
a luxury few can afford.

Absolutely
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/1/2017 2:01 PM, wrote:
[...]

From what I understand, many of the worst damage was done in areas where
[...]

Well, at least I got that last part right. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/1/2017 2:01 PM, wrote:
[...]

From what I understand, many of the worst damage was done in areas where
[...]

;~). It is hard to understand exactly what is going on down here by
watching the news.