Posted to sci.electronics.repair
rickman rickman is offline

Default Decimal Time

Robert Roland wrote on 9/1/2017 4:06 PM:
On Thu, 31 Aug 2017 22:00:33 -0400, rickman wrote:

We presently have a large number of convenient time increments
which would not be so convenient in the new system.

The human animal has a very strong preference to continue to do what
it is used to. It probably has a psychological name and also an
evolutionary significance. In some cases, it may be a good thing, but
in other cases, it hampers our progress tremendously.

Your post demonstrates this perfectly. You are trying to invent
something new, but you keep getting stuck in your old ways, the ways
that you are so used to.

Here in Norway, we used to read numbers between 20 and 100 with the
tens before the ones, like the Danes and Germans still do. So, 24
would read as "four and twenty". 23,795 would read as "three and
twenty thousand seven hundred and five and ninety". Imagine the number
of mistakes that were made when trying to write down a number that
someone spoke. As the phone system made its introduction, the need to
write down long numbers increased, so the problem became more
apparent.

In 1951, the government decided that we would end the insanity and
convert to the system that the Swedes and English use, where the
digits are read in the same order they are written. Since then, the
school children have been thought the new system, and the state
broadcaster has used the new system exclusively (except quite a few
slip-ups, of course).

There is a clear trend, where the old method is more prevalent among
older people. Even still, people who were born twenty years after the
change was officially made, still often use the old way today.

As you can see, changes take huge amounts of time. Even a small,
simple change like that, after more than 60 years, we are probably not
even half way there.

One morning in the early fifties, a military officer spoke to his
battalion: "As of today, we no longer say four and twenty, but two and
forty". He was simply so set in his ways that he was unable to break
free of them, even when he tried.

As I mentioned in another post, we keep the second, the day and the
year. Hours, minutes weeks, months all get thrown away. We may need to
introduce a couple of new units, but that will work itself out
automatically.

You still haven't explained how any of this will be better than what we have
now.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998