Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Decimal Time

Someone was talking about decimal time where the second is shortened by
about 15% allowing 100 secs/minute, 100 minutes/hr, 10 hr/day.

I think the utility of this is limited and it would cause a lot of changes
in society. We presently have a large number of convenient time increments
which would not be so convenient in the new system.

First, the hour would be 2.4 times longer leaving us with no convenient unit
about the same length of time as the hour. The closest would be the
quad-deci-hour which would be 0.96 old hours. The deci-hour would be pretty
convenient about 4% shorter than a quarter hour. The old half hour would
now be about a fifth of a new hour, so we could call it a "fifth" which
might become confused with a non-metric liquor measure, a fifth of a gallon
which has since become 750 ml in metric.

The inconvenience would come from the need to totally recalibrate every type
of measurement we use that considers time... speed limits, work days, time
zones... Would we extend this change to measurements of angles which often
are done in degrees, minutes, seconds?

How would we adjust the work day? Do we go to 3 hour work days which would
be about 7.2 old hours? Shift work would have to split hours to get three
shifts while some businesses that use two 12 old hour shifts would hum along
just fine with 5 new hour shifts. Many businesses opening at 9 AM would now
open at 4:00 (I assume we would just count 0 to 9 hours rather than the
annoying AM/PM thing), folks would take a lunch break at 5:00 and banks
would close around 6:00 while retail would remain open until 9:00 or 9:50
(hmmm, that is still about the same).

The minutes gets pretty whacked gaining 26.4 old seconds. So "give me a
minute" becomes a quarter more weighty of a request. The original pulse was
conceived to match the human pulse so our normal pulse rate will become 86
bpm instead of 60 bpm.

In science the changes would be enormous. With a redefinition of the second
every time related measurement would have to change including many in EE
such as capacitance/charge/current, heck, the definition of the
gravitational constant and even the speed of light would have to change.
Every text book would change and every instrument. This would create so
much confusion that we really would need new names for the second, minute
and hour.

This could go on all day (the one measurement that doesn't change) with a
huge list of changes we will have to make and the many adaptations we as a
society would need to accommodate. Then, in the end, we would still have
leap years.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 8/31/2017 10:00 PM, rickman wrote:
Someone was talking about decimal time where the second is shortened by
about 15% allowing 100 secs/minute, 100 minutes/hr, 10 hr/day.

I think the utility of this is limited and it would cause a lot of
changes in society.Â* We presently have a large number of convenient time
increments which would not be so convenient in the new system.

First, the hour would be 2.4 times longer leaving us with no convenient
unit about the same length of time as the hour.Â* The closest would be
the quad-deci-hour which would be 0.96 old hours.Â* The deci-hour would
be pretty convenient about 4% shorter than a quarter hour.Â* The old half
hour would now be about a fifth of a new hour, so we could call it a
"fifth" which might become confused with a non-metric liquor measure, a
fifth of a gallon which has since become 750 ml in metric.

The inconvenience would come from the need to totally recalibrate every
type of measurement we use that considers time... speed limits, work
days, time zones...Â* Would we extend this change to measurements of
angles which often are done in degrees, minutes, seconds?

How would we adjust the work day?Â* Do we go to 3 hour work days which
would be about 7.2 old hours?Â* Shift work would have to split hours to
get three shifts while some businesses that use two 12 old hour shifts
would hum along just fine with 5 new hour shifts.Â* Many businesses
opening at 9 AM would now open at 4:00 (I assume we would just count 0
to 9 hours rather than the annoying AM/PM thing), folks would take a
lunch break at 5:00 and banks would close around 6:00 while retail would
remain open until 9:00 or 9:50 (hmmm, that is still about the same).

The minutes gets pretty whacked gaining 26.4 old seconds.Â* So "give me a
minute" becomes a quarter more weighty of a request.Â* The original pulse
was conceived to match the human pulse so our normal pulse rate will
become 86 bpm instead of 60 bpm.

In science the changes would be enormous.Â* With a redefinition of the
second every time related measurement would have to change including
many in EE such as capacitance/charge/current, heck, the definition of
the gravitational constant and even the speed of light would have to
change. Every text book would change and every instrument.Â* This would
create so much confusion that we really would need new names for the
second, minute and hour.

This could go on all day (the one measurement that doesn't change) with
a huge list of changes we will have to make and the many adaptations we
as a society would need to accommodate.Â* Then, in the end, we would
still have leap years.

Anyone old enough may remember when the USA tried to go metric. The
people just would not go for it and it was abandoned.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Tom Biasi wrote on 8/31/2017 10:16 PM:
[...]

I don't remember that "people just would not go for it". I don't recall
much resistance at all. I think the "resistance" was at other levels. We
had a partnership with Canada to change together and had a multi-step
program. We completed the first two or three steps and quit. That's why
metric is taught today in schools, it was part of step two or three. When
we had to take a step that would actually change something (I think it was
highway signs) we told Canada to go on without us and we'd catch up later...
*much* later.

I can't believe that even today we still use English units in many
engineering fields. Mechanical engineers often use inches and feet. God
knows what civil engineers use, probably rods. It was just recently that I
learned the acre comes from 160 square rods.

Actually I just looked it up and the acre was defined as 1 chain by 1
furlong while a rod is a quarter of a chain. A chain is 0.1 furlong, so
they are all a related system of measurement.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 8/31/2017 10:36 PM, rickman wrote:
[...]

time zones...Â* Would we extend this change to measurements of angles
which
often are done in degrees, minutes, seconds?

How would we adjust the work day?Â* Do we go to 3 hour work days which
would be about 7.2 old hours?Â* Shift work would have to split hours
to get
three shifts while some businesses that use two 12 old hour shifts would
hum along just fine with 5 new hour shifts.Â* Many businesses opening
[...]

Every text book would change and every instrument.Â* This would create so
much confusion that we really would need new names for the second,
minute
and hour.

This could go on all day (the one measurement that doesn't change)
with a
huge list of changes we will have to make and the many adaptations we
as a
society would need to accommodate.Â* Then, in the end, we would still
have
leap years.

Anyone old enough may remember when the USA tried to go metric. The
people
just would not go for it and it was abandoned.

I don't remember that "people just would not go for it".Â* I don't recall
much resistance at all.Â* I think the "resistance" was at other levels.
We had a partnership with Canada to change together and had a multi-step
program.Â* We completed the first two or three steps and quit.Â* That's
why metric is taught today in schools, it was part of step two or
three.Â* When we had to take a step that would actually change something
(I think it was highway signs) we told Canada to go on without us and
we'd catch up later... *much* later.

I can't believe that even today we still use English units in many
engineering fields.Â* Mechanical engineers often use inches and feet.
God knows what civil engineers use, probably rods.Â* It was just recently
that I learned the acre comes from 160 square rods.

Actually I just looked it up and the acre was defined as 1 chain by 1
furlong while a rod is a quarter of a chain.Â* A chain is 0.1 furlong, so
they are all a related system of measurement.

Well you and I remember differently. I was involved in the teaching of
the metric system to the people of the USA. There was great resistance
and money for the project soon got thin. When I studied engineering in
the 70's we used the metric system exclusively. We didn't call it SI, it
was just the way the scientific community did it.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Tom Biasi wrote on 8/31/2017 11:13 PM:

Well you and I remember differently. I was involved in the teaching of the
metric system to the people of the USA. There was great resistance and money
for the project soon got thin. When I studied engineering in the 70's we
used the metric system exclusively. We didn't call it SI, it was just the
way the scientific community did it.

What teaching were you involved in? I assume it was companies asking you to
educate employees? That is not related to the government. It also has
nothing to do with the "resistance" from the average person. No one was
overly enthusiastic about it since it was a big change, but people were
willing to go with the flow. Mostly they just didn't understand it as there
had been only notification that it would happen and the education was only
in the schools. I believe it was industry that resisted the change much to
our detriment over the decades.

I don't know what you mean about metric not being "SI". I didn't know
diddly about metric until I was in college (before the conversion program
started) and was taught the SI system. I believe prior to SI there was a
metric system that had a few units that were different from today's SI by
some powers of 10. CGS and dynes come to mind.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

It is worthless.

The animal bodies are regulated by the 24h system.

And it would be necessary to redefine the reference second which is now
related to the cesiuaam atom.It is the international reference like the
meter also related to this atom

rickman a écrit :
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Mpffffff... what is unique about time-keeping as-practiced? It is base-12. Meaning that its 24-hour days are nicely divisible by more prime numbers than if it were base-10. It also goes nicely with 360 degrees, and such. It is something that entire world agrees to - one of the very few things.

Esperanto, anyone?

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

[...]

If I may interject:
A lot of years ago I was at a party. I was with a small group of people
and I brought up the topic of Metric Time. I said it as if I really
knew about it and that it was reported on the nightly news by Tom Brokaw
the night before. I said the certain part of Canada had all ready
switched over.

I said it as a joke but did not say that it was. Everyone was 'oh and
'aw about it and swallowed hook, line and sinker. I walked away from
the group and moved else were, snickering all the way.

About 15 minutes later, I got a tap on the shoulder. I turned and faced
a guy that was in that previous group. He had a serious look of
embarrassment and irritation. He said "Metric Time?? Really??" I just
smiled and said "Got Cha". And we had a good laugh.

Actually still laughing today. Since this post put me back to the a very
funny moment in time.

Thanks for the memories.

Les

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

During the time of the pyramids and pharaohs, the Egyptian calendar had 5 days "out of time" at the beginning of the year, then 12 months of 30 days each.

That still makes more sense than what we do now.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 9/1/2017 5:55 AM, Tim R wrote:
During the time of the pyramids and pharaohs, the Egyptian calendar had 5 days "out of time" at the beginning of the year, then 12 months of 30 days each.

That still makes more sense than what we do now.

If we did that now, the politicians will call those tax-free days, with
the remainder being taxed at 100%.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

If we did that now, the politicians will call those tax-free days, with
the remainder being taxed at 100%.

Something like the 0 and 00 on American Roulette wheels?

Keep in mind that the 'modern' calendar was the creation of a religious institution to keep the calendar from 'slipping' and entirely for religious purposes. Islam uses a lunar calendar and slips by about 10 days each year. This is most significant during Ramadan, when fasting is from sunrise to sunset. Makes things a bit hard the further north (or south) one goes when Ramadan falls in the local summer time. But, several other groups, including Buddhists and others use calendars apart from the Gregorian calendar - no surprise there at all.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 9/1/2017 3:57 AM, rickman wrote:
Tom Biasi wrote on 8/31/2017 11:13 PM:

Well you and I remember differently. I was involved in the teaching of
the
metric system to the people of the USA. There was great resistance and
money
for the project soon got thin. When I studied engineering in the 70's we
used the metric system exclusively. We didn't call it SI, it was just the
way the scientific community did it.

What teaching were you involved in?Â* I assume it was companies asking
you to educate employees?Â* That is not related to the government.Â* It
also has nothing to do with the "resistance" from the average person.
No one was overly enthusiastic about it since it was a big change, but
people were willing to go with the flow.Â* Mostly they just didn't
understand it as there had been only notification that it would happen
and the education was only in the schools.Â* I believe it was industry
that resisted the change much to our detriment over the decades.

I don't know what you mean about metric not being "SI".Â* I didn't know
diddly about metric until I was in college (before the conversion
program started) and was taught the SI system.Â* I believe prior to SI
there was a metric system that had a few units that were different from
today's SI by some powers of 10.Â* CGS and dynes come to mind.

I gave you my experience and you disagree. That's it.
Here is a cut from a Wiki article of which seems to be my experience also.

"The U.S. Metric Study recommended that the United States implement a
carefully planned transition to the principal use of the metric system
over a decade. Congress passed the Metric Conversion Act of 1975 "to
coordinate and plan the increasing use of the metric system in the
United States". Voluntary conversion was initiated, and the United
States Metric Board (USMB) was established for planning, coordination,
and public education. The public education component led to public
awareness of the metric system, but the public response included
resistance, apathy, and sometimes ridicule."
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Look165 wrote on 9/1/2017 4:28 AM:
It is worthless.

The animal bodies are regulated by the 24h system.

Not sure what you are talking about. Animal rhythms are related to a daily
cycle, it has nothing to do with "hours".

And it would be necessary to redefine the reference second which is now
related to the cesiuaam atom.It is the international reference like the
meter also related to this atom

The second is defined as vibrations of the cesium atom in the same way the
yard is defined in feet. If we wish to change the definition of the yard to
four feet we do that and are done. Likewise we can change the definition of
the second in the same way to a different number of vibrations of the cesium
atom.

Has anyone pointed out that top posting is hard to reply to?

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Tom Biasi wrote on 9/1/2017 10:14 AM:
[...]

You didn't answer the question about what teaching you did exactly. I don't
know what "That's it" means.

I will rephrase my statement. The resistance to metric was less than the
resistance we have to our current President. No one marched in the streets.
No one filed actions with the Supreme Court. Yeah, people were people and
we had some editorials and a few indicated they had no reason to change,
such as the machine shop I worked with at the time. But they eventually
acquired metric capability anyway.

The "apathy" was the largest component of the response to changing to the
metric system by far. If the government had stayed the course we would have
been converted long ago and all the pain would be behind us.

I wonder why the wikipedia quote doesn't mention the fact that we did the
conversion in cooperation with Canada? Because wikipedia sucks and often is
not 100% accurate. Never use them for any disputed point without looking at
the references.

From the Popular Science web site, "A Gallup poll at the time showed that
45 percent of Americans opposed the switch." That means less than half!

Here is a better reference... from NIST.

https://www.nist.gov/sites/default/f...tric/1136a.pdf

While the Congressional study recommended a coordinated conversion over a
ten year period, Congress made the actual conversion voluntary. Consistent
with the "apathy" part of your statement above, the efforts of the Metric
Board were much ignored and the board was dissolved.

Today metric is a much larger part of our lives and I believe a conversion
would not be resisted and in fact, welcomed by a much larger percentage of
the population. Anyone who works on cars has both types of tools.
Measuring sticks and tapes often are marked in both systems. Goods on store
shelves are already marked in both systems. We are presently primed for the
conversion.

There is some irony in a personal anecdote. I was a contractor with the
Federal government and had to fill out forms justifying buying something
that wasn't measured in metric. The crusty old government employee who
oversaw purchasing didn't want to risk his pension so *everything* we bought
had to have this document. I ordered a board that *was* metric so I didn't
fill in the form and my PR was rejected. When I explained to him the board
was metric he didn't believe you could buy anything in the US that *was*
metric!!! This was in the 90's.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, September 1, 2017 at 10:36:59 AM UTC-4, rickman wrote:
=
Instead of redefining time measures, we should use base 12 for our day to
day computations? That might actually be less work.

That would instantly remove (at least) 35% of Americans from the computational pool. Without 12 fingers, they would be entirely lost.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, September 1, 2017 at 11:33:03 AM UTC-4, rickman wrote:

I posted this here because I figured the most resistance would come from a
community that has a large interest in keeping things the same. So far no
one has said much about the impact on repair.

Hence the indirect reference to that 35% of Americans who are unable to compute without their fingers. Not only do they want things to stay the same, but they would very much like to roll back the clock by about a century, or two.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 9/1/2017 11:10 AM, rickman wrote:
Tom Biasi wrote on 9/1/2017 10:14 AM:
On 9/1/2017 3:57 AM, rickman wrote:
Tom Biasi wrote on 8/31/2017 11:13 PM:

Well you and I remember differently. I was involved in the teaching
of the
metric system to the people of the USA. There was great resistance
and money
for the project soon got thin. When I studied engineering in the
70's we
used the metric system exclusively. We didn't call it SI, it was
just the
way the scientific community did it.

What teaching were you involved in?Â* I assume it was companies asking
you
to educate employees?Â* That is not related to the government.Â* It
also has
nothing to do with the "resistance" from the average person.Â* No one was
overly enthusiastic about it since it was a big change, but people were
willing to go with the flow.Â* Mostly they just didn't understand it as
there had been only notification that it would happen and the education
was only in the schools.Â* I believe it was industry that resisted the
change much to our detriment over the decades.

I don't know what you mean about metric not being "SI".Â* I didn't know
diddly about metric until I was in college (before the conversion
program
started) and was taught the SI system.Â* I believe prior to SI there
[...]

You didn't answer the question about what teaching you did exactly.Â* I
don't know what "That's it" means.

I will rephrase my statement.Â* The resistance to metric was less than
the resistance we have to our current President.Â* No one marched in the
streets. Â*No one filed actions with the Supreme Court.Â* Yeah, people
were people and we had some editorials and a few indicated they had no
reason to change, such as the machine shop I worked with at the time.
But they eventually acquired metric capability anyway.

The "apathy" was the largest component of the response to changing to
the metric system by far.Â* If the government had stayed the course we
would have been converted long ago and all the pain would be behind us.

I wonder why the wikipedia quote doesn't mention the fact that we did
the conversion in cooperation with Canada?Â* Because wikipedia sucks and
often is not 100% accurate.Â* Never use them for any disputed point
without looking at the references.

From the Popular Science web site, "A Gallup poll at the time showed
that 45 percent of Americans opposed the switch."Â* That means less than
half!

Here is a better reference...Â* from NIST.

https://www.nist.gov/sites/default/f...tric/1136a.pdf

While the Congressional study recommended a coordinated conversion over
a ten year period, Congress made the actual conversion voluntary.
Consistent with the "apathy" part of your statement above, the efforts
of the Metric Board were much ignored and the board was dissolved.

Today metric is a much larger part of our lives and I believe a
conversion would not be resisted and in fact, welcomed by a much larger
percentage of the population.Â* Anyone who works on cars has both types
of tools. Measuring sticks and tapes often are marked in both systems.
Goods on store shelves are already marked in both systems.Â* We are
presently primed for the conversion.

There is some irony in a personal anecdote.Â* I was a contractor with the
Federal government and had to fill out forms justifying buying something
that wasn't measured in metric.Â* The crusty old government employee who
oversaw purchasing didn't want to risk his pension so *everything* we
bought had to have this document.Â* I ordered a board that *was* metric
so I didn't fill in the form and my PR was rejected.Â* When I explained
to him the board was metric he didn't believe you could buy anything in
the US that *was* metric!!!Â* This was in the 90's.

To answer your question I taught classes to the public under guidelines
from the United States Metric Board (USMB) in 1975.
I don't see why you needed to bring in the President, I don't wish a
political discussion.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Tom Biasi wrote on 9/1/2017 12:03 PM:
[...]

From the Popular Science web site, "A Gallup poll at the time showed that
[...]

I have no idea what you are talking about. Where did I mention the President?

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 9/1/2017 1:57 PM, rickman wrote:

He
I will rephrase my statement.Â* The resistance to metric was less than the
resistance we have to our current President.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 31 Aug 2017 22:00:33 -0400, rickman wrote:

We presently have a large number of convenient time increments
which would not be so convenient in the new system.

The human animal has a very strong preference to continue to do what
it is used to. It probably has a psychological name and also an
evolutionary significance. In some cases, it may be a good thing, but
in other cases, it hampers our progress tremendously.

Your post demonstrates this perfectly. You are trying to invent
something new, but you keep getting stuck in your old ways, the ways
that you are so used to.

Here in Norway, we used to read numbers between 20 and 100 with the
tens before the ones, like the Danes and Germans still do. So, 24
would read as "four and twenty". 23,795 would read as "three and
twenty thousand seven hundred and five and ninety". Imagine the number
of mistakes that were made when trying to write down a number that
someone spoke. As the phone system made its introduction, the need to
write down long numbers increased, so the problem became more
apparent.

In 1951, the government decided that we would end the insanity and
convert to the system that the Swedes and English use, where the
digits are read in the same order they are written. Since then, the
school children have been thought the new system, and the state
broadcaster has used the new system exclusively (except quite a few
slip-ups, of course).

There is a clear trend, where the old method is more prevalent among
older people. Even still, people who were born twenty years after the
change was officially made, still often use the old way today.

As you can see, changes take huge amounts of time. Even a small,
simple change like that, after more than 60 years, we are probably not
even half way there.

One morning in the early fifties, a military officer spoke to his
battalion: "As of today, we no longer say four and twenty, but two and
forty". He was simply so set in his ways that he was unable to break
free of them, even when he tried.

As I mentioned in another post, we keep the second, the day and the
year. Hours, minutes weeks, months all get thrown away. We may need to
introduce a couple of new units, but that will work itself out
automatically.
--
RoRo
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 1 Sep 2017 10:28:49 +0200, Look165
wrote:

The animal bodies are regulated by the 24h system.

No animal has any concept of what an hour is. If we humans decide to
divide the day into 173 in stead of 24, the animals wouldn't even
notice any difference.

Of course, the cows expect to be milked at the same time every day,
but they don't care if the farmer calls it 6 o'clock or 32.4 o'didly.
--
RoRo
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Tom Biasi wrote on 9/1/2017 2:18 PM:
On 9/1/2017 1:57 PM, rickman wrote:

He
I will rephrase my statement. The resistance to metric was less than the
resistance we have to our current President.

Lol! Discussion ended and I didn't even have to mention Nazis.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Robert Roland wrote on 9/1/2017 4:06 PM:
[...]

You still haven't explained how any of this will be better than what we have
now.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Have you been thinking of the induced cost (around 1000 billion $)

Who would pay ?

And practically :

Clocks and watches replacement (What about Big Ben and others ? )

Reprogramming BIOS or human time clocking on PC.

TV and radio station should fix up the problem.

Redefine a reference second.

Enterprises should have to update their payment bulletin.

Redefine geographic meridians

And what about the travels (planes, boats... ? ).

rickman a écrit :
Someone was talking about decimal time where the second is shortened by
about 15% allowing 100 secs/minute, 100 minutes/hr, 10 hr/day.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 01/09/17 22:55, Tim R wrote:
During the time of the pyramids and pharaohs, the Egyptian calendar had 5 days "out of time" at the beginning of the year, then 12 months of 30 days each.

That still makes more sense than what we do now.

5 day week, 7 week month, ten months in the year,
a week and a day (two on leap years) for New Year.
11% more free time, assuming we still have a 2 day
weekend. Or more, if the robots are doing all the
work anyhow.

Boom!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

rickman a écrit :
Look165 wrote on 9/1/2017 4:28 AM:
It is worthless.

The animal bodies are regulated by the 24h system.

Not sure what you are talking about. Animal rhythms are related to a
daily cycle, it has nothing to do with "hours".

And it would be necessary to redefine the reference second which is now
related to the cesiuaam atom.It is the international reference like the
meter also related to this atom

The second is defined as vibrations of the cesium atom in the same way
the yard is defined in feet. If we wish to change the definition of the
yard to four feet we do that and are done. Likewise we can change the
definition of the second in the same way to a different number of
vibrations of the cesium atom.

Has anyone pointed out that top posting is hard to reply to?

So what does that have to do with hours, minutes and seconds??? You do know
there are 24 hours in a day, right? Changing the length of the hour won't
change the length of the day.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 31 Aug 2017 22:36:09 -0400, rickman wrote:

I don't remember that "people just would not go for it". I don't recall
much resistance at all. I think the "resistance" was at other levels.

Yep. At the time (about 1975), I was working for a company that tried
to switch to metric. This was aided by having the drafting manager
and mechanical designer also serving on the metric conversion council
(or whatever it was called). At one point, we started sending metric
fabrication drawings to various vendors. They were immediately
returned. The problem wasn't understanding the new metric way of
doing things, it was that they would need to replace all their English
lead screws, measurement instruments, gauges blocks, programming, etc
before they could cut metal. They also claimed that they needed
considerable staff training to handle the change (because someone
tried to simultaneously switch to true position dimentioning). We
would need to wait until the shops converted before we could orders
parts in metric.

So, we went back to English units and waited for the "inevitable"
conversion that never happened. It seems that most of the other
customers followed the same pattern. They tried metric, failed, and
went back to English. So, we asked the various fab shops why the
delay? They answered that since everyone seemed to be going back to
using English measurements, they must have run into some problem with
metric. Therefore, the fab shop saw no reason to convert. After
getting approximately the same story from ALL our vendors, we gave up
in disgust.

"Why hasn't the U.S. adopted the metric system?"
http://www.popsci.com/why-hasnt-us-adopted-metric-system

The idea of decimal time has been around for centuries:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_time
The big problem is that time, astronomical, and navigational units
that are based on nautical miles, degrees, minutes, seconds, will end
up with some rather odd looking numbers. Right now, 1 degree is equal
to 60 nautical miles at the equator. It's too hot right now to think
about what decimal time would do to all those. Of course, we could
make things look better by switching from 360 degrees per circle, to
400 gradians per circle:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gradian
When in doubt, change everything.

Everything that deals with time will need to be tweaked. That's going
to be a problem since we have many ways to keep accurate time:
http://leapsecond.com/java/gpsclock.htm
Notice the difference in seconds. Some smartphone vendors are still
having problems keeping accurate time:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/GPS-vs-UTC.jpg
More ways to keep time, all of which will need to be decimalized or
maybe decimated:
http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/systime.html

This is what happened when most everyone assumed that NASA was totally
metric, but wasn't:
http://www.cnn.com/TECH/space/9909/30/mars.metric.02/
I suspect that a decimal time change will have similar transition
problems.

Why don't you just declare that the ratio of the circumference to the
diameter of a circle is exactly 3.0 instead of 3.14159...? I think it
would be easier than changing to decimal time.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 1 Sep 2017 11:10:38 -0400, rickman wrote:

he didn't believe you could buy anything in the US that *was*
metric!!!

The whole world measures car wheel diameter in inches. There is,
however, one country where you can (or at leasy could) buy car wheels
in millimeter sizes. Wanna guess which country?
--
RoRo
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 2 Sep 2017 01:03:44 -0400, rickman wrote:

You still haven't explained how any of this will be better than what we have
now.

We are dividing and multiplying by 10, which is much easier to
understand and to do calculation with.
--
RoRo
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 1 Sep 2017 05:55:52 -0700 (PDT), Tim R
wrote:

During the time of the pyramids and pharaohs, the Egyptian calendar
had 5 days "out of time" at the beginning of the year, then 12 months
of 30 days each.

That still makes more sense than what we do now.

Then there is the Hebrew lunar calendar:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebrew_calendar
which adds an extra leap month in 7 out of every 19 years (3, 6, 8,
11, 14, 17, and 19):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebrew_calendar#Leap_months
Being able to handle such an ugly calenadar might explain why Jews are
quite good at finance. Can you imagine what a loan amortization
schedule looks like under such a calendar?

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jeff Liebermann wrote on 9/2/2017 3:03 PM:

Why don't you just declare that the ratio of the circumference to the
diameter of a circle is exactly 3.0 instead of 3.14159...? I think it
would be easier than changing to decimal time.

I'm for it. How will you get the circle to agree?

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Robert Roland wrote on 9/2/2017 4:44 PM:
On Sat, 2 Sep 2017 01:03:44 -0400, rickman wrote:

You still haven't explained how any of this will be better than what we have
now.

We are dividing and multiplying by 10, which is much easier to
understand and to do calculation with.

You need to do a bit more than say, "it will all work out". Sounds like a
steaming pile of crap to me. The calendar will be crap no matter what you
do because there is no connection between the day and the year. We are
using a crap system because there is no such thing as a good one. Units
less than a day are invented and can be changed at will. But we don't have
the will.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 2 Sep 2017 18:10:00 -0400, rickman wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote on 9/2/2017 3:03 PM:

Why don't you just declare that the ratio of the circumference to the
diameter of a circle is exactly 3.0 instead of 3.14159...? I think it
would be easier than changing to decimal time.

I'm for it.

Excellent.

How will you get the circle to agree?

Not a problem. Just put a flat spot (chord) somewhere on the
circumference. That will shorten the circumference sufficiently so
that the ratio equals exactly 3.0. Please feel free to name such a
flattened circle in my honor. The newly established Bureau of
Decimation should then declare that the official US circle will have a
flat spot.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 01/09/17 12:36, rickman wrote:
[...]

We had little resistance here in Australia too, and plenty of people
who would "not have gone with it". But it was mandated; all aspects of
industry and commerce were evaluated and placed on a time-line. By
a certain date, all green-grocers were required to display prices in
both pounds and kilograms. Some time later, prices had to be charged
by the kilogram. Some time after that, it became illegal to display
prices in pounds. Etc... and so for every part of life, on a schedule
that was planned ahead to assist people in learning the new system.
It was not just recommended as "a good idea".

My understanding is that "the land of the free"(*) failed because they
did not make it mandatory.

Clifford Heath