Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Is angle iron adequate for lintel?

On Wednesday, 30 August 2017 13:14:06 UTC+1, Nikki wrote:
replying to mike, Nikki wrote:
I have the same issue I have a 12foot window (original when built) bricks are
supported currently but what looks like some bent iron and the fact the
windows have metal frames. Safe style will not upgrade with French doors and
side panels until I sort a proper lintel. From what I have read this is above
standard and not that simple. 4 builders have looked at and ran off scared due
to the size! I am at the end of my teather I don't know what to do! I don't
have a lot of spare cash and everyone that looks at confuses me as I don't
believe any of them really know what to do. The cavity is not really a cavity
inside the house is supported by a concrete lintel the brick work on the out
side is up against this no really cavity. This means I need a 12 foot +
something that can only be the thickness of a brick and needs to support all
of the external bricks in order for me to replace the single glazed rubbish
for new pvc. I just don't know what to do I need a cost effective as possible
but with out cutting corners. And pref someone who knows what they are talking
about. Some say the window can stay in others say they will need to come out
to do!!!!!

Consult a qualified structural engineer to find out what's needed for support. There isn't any other satisfactory way to do that.

I don't know what windows have to do with the support, unless they're the type that hold the brickwork up. Nor why you need to replace them, more info might help with looking at other options.

Do yourself a favour and come here to uk.d-i-y via a sane portal, not that hopelessly broken page you're using now.

NT