Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Is angle iron adequate for lintel?

On Wednesday, 30 August 2017 13:14:06 UTC+1, Nikki wrote:
replying to mike, Nikki wrote:
I have the same issue I have a 12foot window (original when built) bricks are
supported currently but what looks like some bent iron and the fact the
windows have metal frames. Safe style will not upgrade with French doors and
side panels until I sort a proper lintel. From what I have read this is above
standard and not that simple. 4 builders have looked at and ran off scared due
to the size! I am at the end of my teather I don't know what to do! I don't
have a lot of spare cash and everyone that looks at confuses me as I don't
believe any of them really know what to do. The cavity is not really a cavity
inside the house is supported by a concrete lintel the brick work on the out
side is up against this no really cavity. This means I need a 12 foot +
something that can only be the thickness of a brick and needs to support all
of the external bricks in order for me to replace the single glazed rubbish
for new pvc. I just don't know what to do I need a cost effective as possible
but with out cutting corners. And pref someone who knows what they are talking
about. Some say the window can stay in others say they will need to come out
to do!!!!!

Consult a qualified structural engineer to find out what's needed for support. There isn't any other satisfactory way to do that.

I don't know what windows have to do with the support, unless they're the type that hold the brickwork up. Nor why you need to replace them, more info might help with looking at other options.

Do yourself a favour and come here to uk.d-i-y via a sane portal, not that hopelessly broken page you're using now.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to mike, PETER MCMANUS wrote:
souds like you should pay a structural engineer for advice instead of asking
peole you dont know online....

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...el-542071-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
PETER MCMANUS m
wrote:
replying to mike, PETER MCMANUS wrote: souds like you should pay a
structural engineer for advice instead of asking peole you dont know
online....

Very much so if all so clueless as the 'homeownershub'

--
*Plagiarism saves time *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 06 Dec 2017 14:24:17 +0000 (GMT)
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
PETER MCMANUS m
wrote:
replying to mike, PETER MCMANUS wrote: souds like you should pay a
structural engineer for advice instead of asking peole you dont know
online....

Very much so if all so clueless as the 'homeownershub'

And for a message posed in February 2009. Oh dear, homeowners hub
really is crazy.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

In article ,
PETER MCMANUS m
wrote:
replying to mike, PETER MCMANUS wrote: souds like you should pay a
structural engineer for advice instead of asking peole you dont know
online....

Very much so if all so clueless as the 'homeownershub'

The hub provides a convenient place to re-read the original thread. It's
interesting to see that all the usual suspects were present.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

More to the point its had time to rust away by now since...
posted on February 12, 2009, 12:18 pm

Does anyone ever read the pages they are using on that web site before
replying though it eludes me why there are so many really old posts up
there.
At least they now have dates, which until quite recently they did not have.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"PETER MCMANUS" m wrote
in message ...
replying to mike, PETER MCMANUS wrote:
souds like you should pay a structural engineer for advice instead of
asking
peole you dont know online....

--
for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...el-542071-.htm

Angle iron or oak? dadiOH[_3_] Woodworking 6 November 24th 08 11:18 AM
Angle Iron/Aluminum Searcher7 Metalworking 13 February 24th 08 06:58 PM
Cutting Angle Iron Pete C UK diy 20 August 22nd 05 09:13 PM
Painting angle iron? Jon Danniken Metalworking 5 July 19th 05 06:14 AM
Angle Iron Bumper David De Vuono Metalworking 9 January 16th 04 11:29 PM