Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cordless telephones

On Tue, 29 Aug 2017 20:20:06 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

It most likely won't be $3.00 but $2.99. They're trying to fool you into
thinking it's MUCH less than $3 (and most signs I see use really fat nines).

I can't see anyone being fooled by that ****. If anything it looks MORE expensive because of all the nines. To me though, I just get irritated at having to stop and think "they mean $3."

We used to sell things by catalogue with .99 on the end, but the customers were ****ed off at having to add them all up on the order forms (and they often got them wrong, and occasionally some bugger would actually want the penny change!). So we made them round numbers.

The strangest one here is gasoline. They always add a 0.9 at the end
of the price. It might have tricked someone when gas was 15.9 cents a
gallon but when it is $2.599 a gallon it is just unnecessary
complication.