Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Cordless telephones

On Saturday, August 26, 2017 at 10:39:53 AM UTC-4, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Sat, 26 Aug 2017 14:29:41 +0100, trader_4 wrote:

On Friday, August 25, 2017 at 9:09:46 PM UTC-4, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 19:23:04 +0100, Mark Lloyd wrote:

In the UK, Sky TV has an EPG through
the satellite. Freeview/Freesat has it through the aerial/satellite.
The only reason for connecting through the phoneline is to upload
viewing data, which sensible people prevent, as it's spying on us.

I know satellite TV had that. I wanted something that would work with
the local cable.

So cable is so **** that they can't even transmit an EPG through it?

What you're missing is that the cable coming into a house is controlled by
the CABLE COMPANY. Two decades ago, most cable companies here did not
offer a DVR and they were not going to allow competing companies that
offered DVRs to download their programming guides into competing eqpt
through their cable system.

Why on earth not? You pay the cable company to watch their TV, they should want you to know what's on. So what if you have a different DVR, you still pay the cable company to get the channels through the cable.

Are you just totally stupid or do you pretend? The cable company wants to force
you to use THEIR DVR so that they can collect $13 more from you each month.

So, those DVRs used phone lines to dial up
and download the program scheduling. Today, cable companies offer DVRs,
but you're going to pay them for it and you have to use their eqpt.
I have a Tivo DVR, have had one for 20+ years. It's superior to the
cable companies eqpt. And Tivo still can't download through the cable
company system, for the same reason, they are competitors and the cable
company won't allow it. Today it uses the internet to connect.

No, they're not competitors. What the ****wit cable company needs to realise is they are being paid by you to broadcast TV.

What the cable company needs to recognize or not recognize does not change
the facts of what the actual policy is, what the situation is, which several
of us have explained to you now.

You give them money, they produce or buy in programs. Who cares what box you use?

They do because they can collect $13 more a month for every one of their
DVRs that a customer uses. Got it now?

What you've ended up with is a hotch-potch of cobbled together rubbish, and I'd never bother with it,

It's not cobbled together rubbish, it works seamlessly. I've had Tivo
for 20+ years, you haven't so obviously you are once again making an
ass of yourself about things you have no experience with.

I'd use someone who can supply me with TV and a list of what's on, all in one thing, without requiring two seperate interfaces.

That's available for simpletons like you that want to pay $13 more a month
to the cable company forever, instead of having a much superior Tivo product.

Surely your country can manage this? In the UK we can have Sky, BT, Freeview, Freesat, Talktalk, and about 6 others I can't remember the name of, all supplying the EPG through the same signal as the programs.

--

It is available both from cable and satellite, from the cable company
or the sat company as long as you pay to use their eqpt.

Your friend from over there is right, you really are quite the birdbrain.