Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Talk about pricing...

On 8/26/2017 9:19 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Â*Â*Â*Â* Compare the old tube tvs with the modern ones.Â*Â* It seemed like
the tv repairman was always out at our farm changing tubes.Â*Â* The
channel selector had something like 13 choices.Â*Â*Â* Black and white,Â* not
color tv.

We used to take them to the Pep Boys store where they had a tube tester.
I'd take six tubes and usually found one to be bad. TV repair was a
good career back then.

Â*Â*Â* Cars today get a lot better gas mileage.Â* Somewhere in the mid
teens/mile was common.Â* Now it's in the upper 20s/mile.Â*Â*Â* A car used to
be on its way down after 100,000 miles or so.Â* Now they're just well
broken in.

Early 50's cars would often get rings and bearings at 50k miles. Spark
plugs cleaned at 5k and replaced at 10k. Oil changes more frequent too.