Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Cordless telephones

On Friday, August 25, 2017 at 9:09:46 PM UTC-4, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 19:23:04 +0100, Mark Lloyd wrote:

In the UK, Sky TV has an EPG through
the satellite. Freeview/Freesat has it through the aerial/satellite.
The only reason for connecting through the phoneline is to upload
viewing data, which sensible people prevent, as it's spying on us.

I know satellite TV had that. I wanted something that would work with
the local cable.

So cable is so **** that they can't even transmit an EPG through it?

What you're missing is that the cable coming into a house is controlled by
the CABLE COMPANY. Two decades ago, most cable companies here did not
offer a DVR and they were not going to allow competing companies that
offered DVRs to download their programming guides into competing eqpt
through their cable system. So, those DVRs used phone lines to dial up
and download the program scheduling. Today, cable companies offer DVRs,
but you're going to pay them for it and you have to use their eqpt.
I have a Tivo DVR, have had one for 20+ years. It's superior to the
cable companies eqpt. And Tivo still can't download through the cable
company system, for the same reason, they are competitors and the cable
company won't allow it. Today it uses the internet to connect.