Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT Ship collision

On Thu, 24 Aug 2017 06:35:37 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 23 Aug 2017 11:09:45 -0700 (PDT), Ivan Vegvary
wrote:

Why,apparently, did both navy ship get damaged so close to the water
line?

Look at the bow of the ACX Crystal. See the pointy nose which
scraped
the decks? See the bulbous nose beneath that which hit belowdecks?
http://tinyurl.com/yb4ltdv2 and http://tinyurl.com/y8xmr4pp , class
NK bow.

Didn't the freighter and the oil tanker have a high foreward brow?

I haven't seen the second ship yet, but judging by the damage to the
USS John McCain, it looks like the same type of bow. They're seem
be common. Watch some ship collision vids on Djutube and you'll see
that.

2nd question. How do you lose 10 sailors in possibly a 20-25 mph
collision? Is it blut force trauma, or do they drown inside the ship
because that section gets sealed off (no escape) to save the rest of
the ship.
One of you probably has some educated opinions.

When you ram something through the outer hull, water can flush
people
out in an instant, or simply drown them (Fitz). But if anyone was
on
the deck, why didn't they warn of the collision before getting
knocked/swept off? (Thereby making themselves unavailable to be
knocked or swept off.)

-
What I want to know is why, with several redundant systems and
procedures, did they hit either time?

1) Both ships have crewmen manning the bridge at all times, but no
bridge crewman from either ship spotted the other before collision.

2) Both ships should have their radar turned on 24/7 while
underweigh,
yet no radar showed the other ship.

3) The military is at a state of alert now and should have had
watches
on every ship, yet no sentries on the military ships spotted
anything.
4) Military ships should also have working sonar, yet nothing was
caught.

Altogether, that is so highly improbable that it defies logic unless
both ships were dark (no lights/radar/sonar).

GPS spoofing moves ships into each other, but all those other
methods
of watch should have caught the other ship before either collision.
Of
course, the report by the captain of the ACX Crystal was pure
make-believe. He flashed them with lights 10 minutes before
hitting?
Where was the 12 minutes of fog horn collision warnings, hmmm? You
can't miss those, even through the hull.

I wonder if any of the ships' crew members disappear...

http://www.maritime-executive.com/ar...eering-failure

Don't military ships have bow thrusters? Might be a nice safety
feature for the future if not.

Do you buy into the maintenance thing? Where I think it might have
played into things, it didn't in all 4 cases. One of the posters
mentioned that they were "AIS dark". I thought that might be reserved
for times at high alert and games maneuvers, not while traveling
shipping lanes with numerous other ships. But even with their radar
off (passive only), why didn't they see the other ships in time? When
you're dark, you have every means of identifying threats going strong
at all times, and that includes eyes on the deck.

Somethin's hinky here, including GIS spoofing.

-
I am a Transfinancial--A rich person born in a poor person's body.
Please stop the hate by sending me money to resolve my money
identity disorder. --anon