Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus3346 Ignoramus3346 is offline

Default OT How did your eclipse go?

On 2017-08-22, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 19:57:04 -0500, Ignoramus22488
wrote:

My 16 year old watched eclipse with his science class.

I picked up my 11 year old from school 20 minutes before the top of
the eclipse. We drove home and watched using shade 10 Omni-View
welding lenses with gold colored tint.

It was partly cloudy. Clouds, in fact, helped more than they hurt
because you could photograph the eclipsed sun easily. When the sun was
out, it was great to use shade 10 lenses, overall it was a great
experience.

In my town, the sun was eclipsed approximately by 90 percent. Despite
that, it was not dark, at its worst it was dim, like under a heavy
cloud cover. That dimness was, however, noticeable.

I was 100 miles or so out of the totality band, so it was pretty
complete here. Smoke from a local fire plus overcast ruined it for
watching the amber disc in the sky. I took a couple brief scans of
the sun to see the bite small and then halfway. What surprised me is
that it didn't really get much darker, even with only a few percent of
the sun showing.

Our perception is logarithmic. We can see in a huge band of ambient
lighting conditions. I was 300+ miles away.