Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default OT Ship collision

On Wednesday, August 23, 2017 at 2:09:49 PM UTC-4, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Why,apparently, did both navy ship get damaged so close to the water line? Didn't the freighter and the oil tanker have a high foreward brow?
2nd question. How do you lose 10 sailors in possibly a 20-25 mph collision? Is it blut force trauma, or do they drown inside the ship because that section gets sealed off (no escape) to save the rest of the ship.
One of you probably has some educated opinions.
Thanks, Ivan Vegvary

Don't know about the first question - I assume Jon has it correct. As for the second question, the dead were (mostly?) found in their flooded sleeping compartments.

The big question, in my mind, is WTF? don't these ships (both of them) have radar? And don't they have someone watching where they are going? Also, this is supposedly a very busy harbor. Isn't there a harbor master (or whatever such a person is called) keeping an eye on things?

What century is this, anyway?