Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT How did your eclipse go?

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 10:08:28 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 05:54:40 -0700
Larry Jaques wrote:

In my town, the sun was eclipsed approximately by 90 percent. Despite
that, it was not dark, at its worst it was dim, like under a heavy
cloud cover. That dimness was, however, noticeable.

Similar conditions here. I did notice the temperature dropped around 5
degrees during the peak. And like others mentioned how the shadows cast
by trees look odd. I've seen the shadows before but still enjoy the
sight.

It was still in the low sixties here at 10:18am, so I didn't feel any
drop. The entire month has been eerie with the amber skies due to
smoke from not-distant-enough fires, so the eclipse was cheapened here
by that.

Used my cheapo HF auto darkening helmet for a couple brief looks. Had
to wave my hand in front of the sensor to make it darken. Mostly just
to see how much of the Sun was being covered. Not ideal but it goes up
to shade 13 and my fixed helmet is only 10. It probably would have been
fine though with what little bit of time I looked (10-15 seconds) and
the hazy sky conditions...

The week leading up to the eclipse was clear in the mornings, with no
haze and no smoke. We got cheated by a week, darnit!

Every time some sort of unique solar viewing activity comes up I wish I
had a solar filter for my ETX 90 telescope. It should work well for
that kind of stuff. You don't need much magnification for a great
view with such a large object

There's no time like now to order the parts to build one. I'd have
suggested that last month if you'd mentioned it.

-
I am a Transfinancial--A rich person born in a poor person's body.
Please stop the hate by sending me money to resolve my money
identity disorder. --anon