Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cordless telephones

On Monday, August 21, 2017 at 9:02:44 PM UTC-5, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 07:42:36 +0100, Uncle Monster wrote:

On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 8:02:51 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 16:11:02 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
Uncle Monster wrote:

On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 10:25:47 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 07:42:58 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
Uncle Monster wrote:

Hum, my brother has 200mbs Internet service(300mbs is available) from Charter/Spectrum Cable. At home, I have 60mbs from the same provider. The hospital I use has extremely fast Internet service. I think I measured 100mbs the last time I connected to the hospital WiFi during the day. Here at the center I've measured 60mbs at night. Me and my brother have never had our Charter/Spectrum Cable Internet go out that I can recall. The modems are plugged into backup power supplies along with our computers so everything stays up even when the power blinks.?(?)?

How fast is it when the cable is down? That is my problem with Comcast
here. The internet goes down at my FILs house about once a day. My
wife pays extra for a Comcast Commercial account and their performance
is not much better. My Telco based DSL is up pretty much 100% of the
time. When it does blink, it is just that a very short blip. Comcast
can be down days at a time, particularly after a storm.
Century link is underground. Comcast is up on poles.

It hasn't been down very much and I don't remember the last time I lost Internet service at my home. Back in January of 2015, the last time I was home, the power was out in my neighborhood for 6 hours. I have a number of UPS units rated from 350va to 1kw on my computer and network gear and I never lost Internet service. I shut everything down except for the LED desk lamps which were plugged into 500va UPS units and the lamps kept the house safely lit during the power outage. ?(?)?

Here at the center the Internet was out for a while until rolled down to the administrator's office and told them how to power cycle the network equipment to get the system back up. It went down because of a power blink.. There are generators here at the center if the power goes out but they need a UPS on the computer network equipment. I know you have a lot of storms down there in the peninsula but we have them too up here in the hills. Perhaps the storms here aren't as severe as those down there between the Atlantic and The Gulf??(?)?

We have ass kicking storms here all the time. We would call "Sandy"
"Tuesday afternoon". The difference is out building code is tougher
and FPL knows how to mitigate storms. Power was off after Charley for
about 18 hours. I am not sure it went off in Wilma at all. If it did
it was less than an hour. I have had a new in the box generator in my
garage for a decade. The power has not been off long enough to justify
opening the box.

We have older residential areas in the Birmingham Metro area that are nothing but trees. Whenever there is a bad storm, trees come down. Back in the 1990's me an my brother were installing a lot of NG powered Generac generators in wealthy neighborhoods like in the city of Mountain Brook where all the rich Honkies live. The smallest was the 8kw with the B&S 16hp air cooled and the larger gensets 10-20kw used a Turkish Fiat 4cyl liquid cooled engine. The last Generac I installed was earlier in this century and it was equipped with Generac's own manufactured big twin cyl air cooled engine. I've no experience with their newest gensets but the most popular model seems to be their 22kw whole house backup model. According to their site, they have a new model genset designed to work with alternative energy or off the grid systems like solar power that kicks in when the batteries run down. That would be an interesting setup for a home in the sticks with large solar panels and a big
propane tank. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

http://www.generac.com/

[8~{} Uncle Generated Monster

Why would you need 22kW to run a house? My house averages 1kW, and peak is about 10kW.
--

Many American homes have this thing called central air conditioning. In hot humid weather like we have here in the Southeastern U.S., air conditioning is a necessity. The elderly or people with health problems would be in bad shape without it. It gets so hot sometimes that the city will open air conditioned auditoriums as cooling shelters for the homeless or people who don't have AC in their homes. An American home may have a number of appliances that use quite a bit of power. At my home I have 2 refrigerator/freezers, a dishwasher, a clothes washer, clothes dryer, central air conditioning, 2 microwave ovens and various appliances that plug in as needed including my electric kettle. I have gas heat, a gas stove and a gas water heater. I use LED and CFL bulbs throughout my home. My housemate who's taking care of my home said the electric bill was up during the very humid +90°F weather we've been having lately. The heat can kill people. As I recall, you had a heat wave a while back there in The UK that caused the deaths of a number of people. My cousins there in The UK can't handle the heat the way us Southerners can. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...e-8718171.html

https://tinyurl.com/ya74wvwr

[8~{} Uncle Hot Monster