Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus22488 Ignoramus22488 is offline

Default OT How did your eclipse go?

On 2017-08-22, BobH wrote:
On 08/21/2017 05:57 PM, Ignoramus22488 wrote:
In my town, the sun was eclipsed approximately by 90 percent. Despite
that, it was not dark, at its worst it was dim, like under a heavy
cloud cover. That dimness was, however, noticeable.

Down here in Southern Arizona, it was pretty underwhelming. At the peak,
it was only about 40% eclipsed. It got darker yesterday from the cloud
cover, than today for the eclipse. It was completely clear today.

I used a #11 welding hood, and it was not dense enough here. I was
working in fairly low light all morning, and my eyes felt like I had
flashed them while welding. #12 would have been better, #14 probably
would have been too much.

40% is underwhelming, I agree.