Posted to alt.home.repair
Unquestionably Confused[_4_] Unquestionably Confused[_4_] is offline

Default Cordless telephones

On Sat, 19 Aug 2017 23:00:30 +0100, Unquestionably Confused

On Sat, 19 Aug 2017 16:32:39 +0100, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

[snip]

I pay £5 a month for unlimited texts and 4 hours of calls a month and
some data (not sure how much, I never use it).
I could pay £8 a month to make that 16 hours, and so on.

Unlimited call time, unlimited long distance, unlimited texting.* Just
about all the current plans are data based start out with a GB or two
and go from there.

How much for that?

$56/month for me with two GB that rolls over to the next month for a
maximum included data of 4GB in a single month without addl charge.* If
I am to be traveling and figure on using more data, I can change the
plan on the fly (instantly) for a much lower rate rather than going over
the limit.* If I only need the extra capacity for 10 days, I can turn it
off again and the charges are pro-rated.* With the multi-phone discount
and my wife sharing my data allotment, our final bill is about $80/month
for the two us including all taxes and supplemental fees.

Holy ****!* $56 a month?!* I pay £5 a month!* I thought America was
cheaper for most things?

Whether or not the law has been repealed (no telemarketing calls) or
not, we find them on the rise to the tune of 3, sometimes 4, per
day on
each line.* We gave up our landline several years ago.* It's a PITA,

[snip]

That said, if/when it becomes a problem, most
phones can be programmed to silence during set hours BUT allow select
callers (typically family, employer) in your contacts to ring through
regardless of the time of day or night.

I've never had a complicated phone for a landline.* Nothing programmable
at all, no need for it.

Who said anything about a land line?

Because that's where the sales *******s call.

Unfortunately, the azzholes here in the States robocall on any number
their equipment can generate and that includes cellular. Of late, their
latest ploy seems to be spoofing and dialing from the same area code and
prefix, e.g. (312) 721-XXXX as the target phone. Apparently meant to
make the intended "victim" think it might be a neighbor or friend.

That capability is built into most
ever SmartPhone out there now.

Never found it on mine.

We also, when we gave up the land line,
kept our wired POTS and Cordless phones for the house.* Disconnected
from the grid, those phones are still in service and provide us with TWO
outgoing/incoming phone lines by pairing (via BlueTooth) with our
cellphones automatically when we are in the house.* (Look up Siemens
Gigaset and similar) for the equipment.* Cost about $60 one time fee.

Sounds complicated an overly expensive.* You have a mobile, why do you
need more lines?

It's very UNcomplicated. We come within 35' or so of the Gigaset and it
connects to the cellular phone. We place our cells in the charger and
don't have to carry it all over the house (unless we wish to do so).
Phone rings and we can pick up the phone in the workshop, bedroom,
kitchen, family room, wherever. We don't need the second line. I can
count on one hand the number of times we've had both lines active at the
same time while at home. But we CAN and it costs us nothing since it's
the cell phone.

Easy to understand why I tossed the landline which was rarely used yet
cost us a base of $34/month plus a long distance calling package. ;-)

For that price I get broadband too.

Good for you (and I'm not being sarcastic). Pricing is what it is.
Never really researched it but my recollection is that cellular phone
service and broadband is much more advanced in Europe than here in the USA.