Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
=?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= =?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= is offline

Default What's so special about gear oil that it's 70 bucks a gallon?

posted for all of us...

On Sat, 19 Aug 2017 14:04:58 +0000 (UTC), Bram van den Heuvel
wrote:

Given , Stormin' Norman
wrote:

The specific products you mentioned above are all synthetic lubricants
and cost more to manufacture, hence, they are more expensive at retail
than their non-synthetic counterparts.

I think I have the answer as to "why" now, which is that the synthetics
cost about $70 per gallon while the not synthetics cost about half that, at
around $35/gallon.

But why, when motor oil is commonly half that still, is gear oil at even
$35 per gallon, but much more importantly, what would be a reason to choose
between the $35/gallon SAE 75W90 GL-4 gear oil versus the $70/gallon stuff.

Is it all due to synthetics?
Are synthetics better for a two-decade old 5-speed manual transmission?

The reason I'm looking is that the shifting is getting harder to get into
gear lately, so someone suggested putting the high end transmission fluid.

When I put synthetic in my ranger it GOT hard to shift

Clare, I saw a Ranger on a car lot. I called a couple days later to see if I
could take a look at it. SOLD...

--
Tekkie