Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default What's so special about gear oil that it's 70 bucks a gallon?

On Saturday, August 19, 2017 at 9:10:47 AM UTC-4, Stormin' Norman wrote:
On Sat, 19 Aug 2017 12:54:46 +0000 (UTC), Bram van den Heuvel
wrote:

Given news wrote:

Have you checked Amazon, NAPA, or farm supply stores like Tractor
Supply,
Rural King, or Orscheln? The first one that pops up at Amazon is $35.

I admit I'm running off of fear since all the Toyota guys say that you must
use either Amsoil or Royal Purple or Redline GL4 75W90 in the manual
transmission.

Even the Royal Purple 75W90 gear oil is $60 per gallon.
https://skspeed.com/royal-purple-013...-gl-5-1-quart/

All I want to know is what's so special about these gear oils that they
cost $60 to $70 a gallon (where I need about a gallon)?

Looking up the gear oils, I find technical information but nothing answers
my question which is why I asked here.

A study of automotive gear lubes
http://www.technilube.com/brochures/...hite_paper.pdf

The specific products you mentioned above are all synthetic lubricants
and cost more to manufacture, hence, they are more expensive at retail
than their non-synthetic counterparts.

--

The problem is Donald Trump. The solution is impeachment or, the otherwise legal
removal, from office, of the greatest threat to peace the world has ever known.

And Amsoil and Royal Purple are recognized brand names, that the
gear heads go gaga over, so you pay
more for them because they can get it, just like with other products.
You can find typically find synthetics from other manufacturers that
meet the same specs, but cost less.