Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default What's so special about gear oil that it's 70 bucks a gallon?

Bill wrote:
On 08/19/2017 08:54 AM, Bram van den Heuvel wrote:
I admit I'm running off of fear since all the Toyota guys say that you must
use either Amsoil or Royal Purple or Redline GL4 75W90 in the manual
transmission.

Forum "blowhard know-it-alls" are a dime a dozen. I use whatever the mfg recommends.

The problem with older cars is that what the manufacturer recommended has
likely been unavailable for decades.

We have this issue with motor oils that don't have the ZDDP levels that
older lifter designs expected.
--scott