Posted to alt.home.repair
Unquestionably Confused[_4_] Unquestionably Confused[_4_] is offline

Default Cordless telephones

On Sat, 19 Aug 2017 15:29:25 +0100, Unquestionably Confused

On Sat, 19 Aug 2017 03:04:51 +0100, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

[snip]

Think of it this way.* In UK there is a charge of 30 pence every time
your doorbell is used.* Do you want to pay that every time some
uninvited peddler rings your bell selling something that you have no
interest in?

WTF were your mobile companies thinking?!* The CALLER pays the charge,
ALWAYS (unless the caller reverses the charges, which you can refuse,
you're told by the operator before you take the call).

They were thinking about a cash grab to pay for the necessary
infrastructure, of course. That's gone by the wayside and now (other
than burner phones) call time is generally unlimited and there are no
long distance charges.

Whether or not the law has been repealed (no telemarketing calls) or
not, we find them on the rise to the tune of 3, sometimes 4, per day on
each line. We gave up our landline several years ago. It's a PITA, but
now that I'm retired I have to admit taking a certain amount of pleasure
out of f**king with the morons that call.