Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Copper difficult to o weld?

On Fri, 18 Aug 2017 16:28:28 -0400, Tekkie®
wrote:

Jennifer posted for all of us...

Our refrigerator got compressor replaced in Feb. Now it's not working again.
The technician now says there is Freiburg leak and because the original
refrigerator had copper tubing, it's difficult to weld,. He suggested us to
change to whole coil. What does it mean?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...d-1141468-.htm

We need more details as others have stated.

The tech could have caused this problem while replacing the compressor.
Copper is easy to braze (weld) - even I can do it. I suspect the tech does
not want to do the job. Query him why this happened. I am suspicious... Is
this repair being done by a 'home warranty' co?

The choices you have revolve around how old the unit is, what is really the
problem, how much is cost of repair vs a new refrigerator?

Brazing isn't welding. It is "hard soldering". You CAN brass weld
coPper, but it is not commonly done."Brass welding" or "braze welding"
involves melting the copper/brass base metal and adding filler rod
like in welding steel. Brazing, or hard soldering, melts the spelter
ONTO the joint - it does not melt it INTO the joint.