Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default New circular saw

On 8/16/17 2:25 PM, Just Wondering wrote:
On 8/16/2017 8:57 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 8/16/17 4:23 AM, Just Wondering wrote:
On 8/15/2017 5:19 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 8/15/17 5:40 PM, Just Wondering wrote:
On 2017-08-15, Scott Lurndal
wrote:

Skil no longer makes the worm-drive saws).

You may be wrong: https://www.skilsaw.com/saws#17696

Doesn't even show up on www.skiltools.com. Confusing
indeed.

I get this this great big banner, alternating with a
banner for their homeowner circular saw line. Right on the
main page. http://i.imgur.com/LYORA7j.jpg

If you go on amazon.com, search for 7 1/4" circular saws,
and sort on customer reviews, the top 12 saws are all Skil,
Dewalt, and Makita. No. 10 is a worm drive Skil.
https://www.amazon.com/SKILSAW-SPT77...in%3A387625011

There's a lot more to the sorting by reviews than just the
reviews. You could have a dozen widgets with the exact same
reviews and they'll get sorted a certain way for various
reasons. Amazon is a bit tricky that way.

I thought this thread was about the availability of worm drive
Skil circular saws. I'm not getting sucked into a discussion of
the merits of various methods for assessing the value of Amazon
customer reviews.

I thought you were trying to judge the quality of Skilsaw worm
drive saws based on where they ranked on Amazon.

Among professional carpenters they have always been go-to saw and
highly regarded in the industry. I trust that reputation over
Amazon reviews, that's all I'm saying.

OK, but it sure looks to me like all you were saying was, "There's a
lot more to the sorting by reviews than just the reviews. You could
have a dozen widgets with the exact same reviews and they'll get
sorted a certain way for various reasons. Amazon is a bit tricky that
way."

Well yeah, that too. :-)
I wasn't trying to lead us off on another tangent, just making the point
that the Skilsaw worms are as good as everyone says they are and are
better than those other despite what a list of reviews might lead you to
believe.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)