Posted to rec.woodworking

Default New circular saw

I bought a Black and Decker 7 1/4" circular saw a few months ago and loved it.

Last Friday I was breaking down some 2" Southern Yellow Pine (with the required 12' rips) and it started blowing smoke, vast quantities of smoke, out the motor vents, with the melodic sound of bearings going south.

Did a bit of research and the DeWalt 575 was the first or second on everyone's list. It should be in today and we will see if it lives up to its billing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/15/2017 6:46 AM, Dr. Deb wrote:
I bought a Black and Decker 7 1/4" circular saw a few months ago and loved it.

Last Friday I was breaking down some 2" Southern Yellow Pine (with the required 12' rips) and it started blowing smoke, vast quantities of smoke, out the motor vents, with the melodic sound of bearings going south.

Did a bit of research and the DeWalt 575 was the first or second on everyone's list. It should be in today and we will see if it lives up to its billing.

B & D was the choice of professionals in the past but the last pro
quality tool they made was probably about 1960. They were fine for the
home handyman use. I had one for many years for light duty. Making 12'
rips was not their forte.

I don't know about DeWalt. They used to be a higher quality. Meantime,
can you get the B&D repaired under warranty? Keep it as a spare or sell
it and recoupe some of your cost.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 15 Aug 2017 09:30:39 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

Makita is still a lot better than DeWalt - so are Milwaukee and Skill
and Bosch.
Generally speaking, if under Warrantee they will more likely replace
than repair - many of the B&D crap today you can't even get parts for.
Wear out a brush, and the replacement part is the whole motor,
including the plastic case.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, August 15, 2017 at 11:23:51 AM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:

I think that depends on the Skil model - the homeowners models (used to) suck,
but the worm-drive saws are de rigueur on job sites (and it appears that
Skil no longer makes the worm-drive saws).

Actually, it is their flagship saw. For a while, they made them for Bosch as well. Don't know about now. I didn't realize they were making this many sidewinders, though.

https://goo.gl/y3vdVN

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/15/17 5:46 AM, Dr. Deb wrote:
I bought a Black and Decker 7 1/4" circular saw a few months ago and
loved it.

Last Friday I was breaking down some 2" Southern Yellow Pine (with
the required 12' rips) and it started blowing smoke, vast quantities
of smoke, out the motor vents, with the melodic sound of bearings
going south.

Did a bit of research and the DeWalt 575 was the first or second on
everyone's list. It should be in today and we will see if it lives
up to its billing.

I have the 575SB and from day one, the electric blade brake is
intermittent. Sometimes it works and stops the blade and other times it
don't do a thing.

Of course, Murphy's Law dictates that it usually doesn't work when I'm
actually cutting.
YMMV.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

" writes:
On Tuesday, August 15, 2017 at 11:23:51 AM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:

I think that depends on the Skil model - the homeowners models (used to) suck,
but the worm-drive saws are de rigueur on job sites (and it appears that
Skil no longer makes the worm-drive saws).

Actually, it is their flagship saw. For a while, they made them for Bosch as well. Don't know about now. I didn't realize they were making this many sidewinders, though.

https://goo.gl/y3vdVN

Ah, I see that there is a Skil Tools (which makes the homeowner crap)
and SkilSaw (which makes the good stuff).
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/15/2017 6:46 AM, Dr. Deb wrote:
I bought a Black and Decker 7 1/4" circular saw a few months ago and loved it.

Last Friday I was breaking down some 2" Southern Yellow Pine (with the required 12' rips) and it started blowing smoke, vast quantities of smoke, out the motor vents, with the melodic sound of bearings going south.

Did a bit of research and the DeWalt 575 was the first or second on everyone's list. It should be in today and we will see if it lives up to its billing.

My first question is why would you buy a B&D anything these days?

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, August 15, 2017 at 12:00:49 PM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Ah, I see that there is a Skil Tools (which makes the homeowner crap)
and SkilSaw (which makes the good stuff).

Skil is owned by a Chinese company after being sold by Bosch that apparently bought them to get rights to the worm drive saw.

Its confusing. When I started in the trades a few decades ago, even though we didn't use Skil branded tools (except the worm drive)all wood cutting circular saws were called "Skilsaws". Nothing has changed. We don't say get a drill and a "Makita" and head to the job.

Skilsaw© was the first, powerful, practical and reliable wood cutting circular saw. It was a patented, heavily protected piece of machinery (much like the old Fein oscillators or the Festool Domino) that had the worm drive market to itself. The Skil line of saws, drills, routers, was developed for the lighter use group and in the 60s they made some pretty good tools.

Skil makes the Skilsaw©, and now (rumor has it) that since Skil was recently sold to a Chinese company, they are redirecting their efforts to make a "professional quality" set of tools. Not sure what that means anymore, but I guess they are getting out of the crap tool business.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2017-08-15, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Skil no longer makes the worm-drive saws).

You may be wrong:

https://www.skilsaw.com/saws#17696

nb

Posted to rec.woodworking

" writes:
[snip]

Skilsaw=C2=A9 was the first, powerful, practical and reliable wood cutting =
circular saw. It was a patented, heavily protected piece of machinery (muc=
h like the old Fein oscillators or the Festool Domino) that had the worm dr=
ive market to itself. The Skil line of saws, drills, routers, was developed=
for the lighter use group and in the 60s they made some pretty good tools.

Hm.. I have a worm-drive saw that's not a skilsaw (was in the
garage when I moved in). Probably 50's vintage. Needs grease,
so I've never even fired it up (came in a nice metal case). I'll
have to dig it out of the back of the shop and see if it can be
rehabilitated.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2017-08-15, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Skil no longer makes the worm-drive saws).

You may be wrong:

https://www.skilsaw.com/saws#17696

Doesn't even show up on www.skiltools.com. Confusing indeed.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2017-08-15, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Skil no longer makes the worm-drive saws).

You may be wrong:

https://www.skilsaw.com/saws#17696

Doesn't even show up on www.skiltools.com. Confusing indeed.

Perhaps, fer you. (shrug)

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2017-08-15, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Skil no longer makes the worm-drive saws).

You may be wrong:

https://www.skilsaw.com/saws#17696

Doesn't even show up on www.skiltools.com. Confusing indeed.

I get this this great big banner, alternating with a banner for
their homeowner circular saw line. Right on the main page.

http://i.imgur.com/LYORA7j.jpg
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2017-08-15, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Skil no longer makes the worm-drive saws).

You may be wrong:
https://www.skilsaw.com/saws#17696

Doesn't even show up on www.skiltools.com. Confusing indeed.

I get this this great big banner, alternating with a banner for
their homeowner circular saw line. Right on the main page.
http://i.imgur.com/LYORA7j.jpg

If you go on amazon.com, search for 7 1/4" circular saws, and sort on
customer reviews, the top 12 saws are all Skil, Dewalt, and Makita. No.
10 is a worm drive Skil.
https://www.amazon.com/SKILSAW-SPT77...in%3A387625011

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, August 15, 2017 at 5:46:17 AM UTC-5, Dr. Deb wrote:
I bought a Black and Decker 7 1/4" circular saw a few months ago and loved it.

Last Friday I was breaking down some 2" Southern Yellow Pine (with the required 12' rips) and it started blowing smoke, vast quantities of smoke, out the motor vents, with the melodic sound of bearings going south.

Did a bit of research and the DeWalt 575 was the first or second on everyone's list. It should be in today and we will see if it lives up to its billing.

People seem to really like that saw. I bought a Milwaukee 6390 years back when they were on sale at Sears. I just used it this afternoon. It's on the heavy side, but it's never disappointed me for power.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2017-08-15, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Skil no longer makes the worm-drive saws).

You may be wrong:
https://www.skilsaw.com/saws#17696

Doesn't even show up on www.skiltools.com. Confusing indeed.

I get this this great big banner, alternating with a banner for
their homeowner circular saw line. Right on the main page.
http://i.imgur.com/LYORA7j.jpg

If you go on amazon.com, search for 7 1/4" circular saws, and sort on
customer reviews, the top 12 saws are all Skil, Dewalt, and Makita. No.
10 is a worm drive Skil.
https://www.amazon.com/SKILSAW-SPT77...in%3A387625011

There's a lot more to the sorting by reviews than just the reviews.
You could have a dozen widgets with the exact same reviews and they'll
get sorted a certain way for various reasons.
Amazon is a bit tricky that way.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 15 Aug 2017 16:23:46 GMT, (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

writes:
[...]

They still make several worm drive saws. The Sawsquatch is one of
them. Remember, Skill is now owned by Bosch.
They stil make the SHD77 too amd the SPT 77 and 78 models.(as well as
the MeduSaw for concrete)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 15 Aug 2017 15:42:07 -0700 (PDT), Michael
wrote:

On Tuesday, August 15, 2017 at 5:46:17 AM UTC-5, Dr. Deb wrote:
I bought a Black and Decker 7 1/4" circular saw a few months ago and loved it.

Last Friday I was breaking down some 2" Southern Yellow Pine (with the required 12' rips) and it started blowing smoke, vast quantities of smoke, out the motor vents, with the melodic sound of bearings going south.

Did a bit of research and the DeWalt 575 was the first or second on everyone's list. It should be in today and we will see if it lives up to its billing.

People seem to really like that saw. I bought a Milwaukee 6390 years back when they were on sale at Sears. I just used it this afternoon. It's on the heavy side, but it's never disappointed me for power.

I've got a 1958 worm drive skill, an 8 inch Milwaukee, and a 7 1/2
1nch Rockwell. I think they are all old enough to vote and drink -
just like my truck - - -
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2017-08-15, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Skil no longer makes the worm-drive saws).

You may be wrong:
https://www.skilsaw.com/saws#17696

Doesn't even show up on www.skiltools.com. Confusing indeed.

I get this this great big banner, alternating with a banner for
their homeowner circular saw line. Right on the main page.
http://i.imgur.com/LYORA7j.jpg

If you go on amazon.com, search for 7 1/4" circular saws, and sort on
customer reviews, the top 12 saws are all Skil, Dewalt, and Makita. No.
10 is a worm drive Skil.
https://www.amazon.com/SKILSAW-SPT77...in%3A387625011

There's a lot more to the sorting by reviews than just the reviews.
You could have a dozen widgets with the exact same reviews and they'll
get sorted a certain way for various reasons.
Amazon is a bit tricky that way.

I always take the reviews with a big grain of salt -
- the Chevy Vega was MotorTrend Car-Of-The-Year for 1971 -
.. yep I owned one ..
As for circular saws - I have yet to learn how to use one -
after about 30 years of owning 2 or 3 ..so I can't comment .
.... seriously - I always struggle with this tool. not sure why.
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 15 Aug 2017 20:46:43 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Tuesday, August 15, 2017 at 9:23:03 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tue, 15 Aug 2017 21:02:48 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 8/15/2017 8:02 PM, wrote:

I always take the reviews with a big grain of salt -
- the Chevy Vega was MotorTrend Car-Of-The-Year for 1971 -
.. yep I owned one ..

I drove one cross country. It was good on the trip but bunred oil after
that. I guess an 800 mile day is too much for it.

As for circular saws - I have yet to learn how to use one -
after about 30 years of owning 2 or 3 ..so I can't comment .
... seriously - I always struggle with this tool. not sure why.
John T.
I know why for me. I'm left handed.

Yiu just need a lefthand saw - - -

Lots of right-handed folks use left-blade circular saws. I'm one of them.

I like my wormdrive for the same reason, but Ed said he's always had
trouble with circular saws because he's a Lefty.
So FOR HIM a Lrft Handed saw may well be the answer for him.

When a righty uses a left-blade saw, they don't have to lean over the saw
to see the cut line. Some folks think that the sawdust gets thrown back
in the user's face, but my Porter Cable 743 has a dust chute that mounts
to the top of the saw so you can point the dust at someone else. ;-)

Pic (and praise) can be found he

http://www.contractortalk.com/f40/po...ar-saw-128514/

I was introduced to it many years back by a right-handed journeyman framer.
He bought one for the guys in his crew (Christmas) so they would stop
borrowing his. :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, August 15, 2017 at 6:55:06 PM UTC-5, wrote:

They still make several worm drive saws. The Sawsquatch is one of
them. Remember, Skill is now owned by Bosch.
They stil make the SHD77 too amd the SPT 77 and 78 models.(as well as
the MeduSaw for concrete)

Not as of last year. Although I can't find the article, I read some time back that Bosch no longer needed (or wanted) Skil. They were sold to Chevron, a Chinese company that indicated (sorry, no cite) that intends to start making more "professional grade" tools.

Sale info:

http://toolguyd.com/bosch-sells-skil-brand-to-chervon/

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2017-08-15, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Skil no longer makes the worm-drive saws).

You may be wrong:
https://www.skilsaw.com/saws#17696

Doesn't even show up on www.skiltools.com. Confusing indeed.

I get this this great big banner, alternating with a banner for
their homeowner circular saw line. Right on the main page.
http://i.imgur.com/LYORA7j.jpg

If you go on amazon.com, search for 7 1/4" circular saws, and sort on
customer reviews, the top 12 saws are all Skil, Dewalt, and Makita.
No. 10 is a worm drive Skil.
https://www.amazon.com/SKILSAW-SPT77...in%3A387625011

There's a lot more to the sorting by reviews than just the reviews.
You could have a dozen widgets with the exact same reviews and they'll
get sorted a certain way for various reasons.
Amazon is a bit tricky that way.

I thought this thread was about the availability of worm drive Skil
circular saws. I'm not getting sucked into a discussion of the merits
of various methods for assessing the value of Amazon customer reviews.

On 2017-08-15, Scott Lurndal wrote:

[...]

I owned one, too. It was a nice little car with one big problem. The
aluminum block and steel head would heat and therefore expand unevenly,
resulting in blown head gaskets. The good news was that changing a head
gasket was pretty easy. The second time I had to do it took about a
half hour start to finish, and I'm no mechanic. The third time it
happened I put in a new block with steel cylinder sleeves.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/15/2017 8:02 PM, wrote:

I always take the reviews with a big grain of salt -
- the Chevy Vega was MotorTrend Car-Of-The-Year for 1971 -
.. yep I owned one ..

I drove one cross country. It was good on the trip but bunred oil after
that. I guess an 800 mile day is too much for it.

As for circular saws - I have yet to learn how to use one -
after about 30 years of owning 2 or 3 ..so I can't comment .
... seriously - I always struggle with this tool. not sure why.

John T.
I know why for me. I'm left handed.
Yiu just need a lefthand saw - - -

Lots of right-handed folks use left-blade circular saws. I'm one of them.

I like my wormdrive for the same reason, but Ed said he's always had
trouble with circular saws because he's a Lefty.

So FOR HIM a Lrft Handed saw may well be the answer for him.

Hmmm...you seem to think I was disagreeing with you. Interesting.

When a righty uses a left-blade saw, they don't have to lean over the saw
to see the cut line. Some folks think that the sawdust gets thrown back
in the user's face, but my Porter Cable 743 has a dust chute that mounts
to the top of the saw so you can point the dust at someone else. ;-)

Pic (and praise) can be found he

http://www.contractortalk.com/f40/po...ar-saw-128514/

I was introduced to it many years back by a right-handed journeyman framer.
He bought one for the guys in his crew (Christmas) so they would stop
borrowing his. :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

notbob writes:
On 2017-08-15, Scott Lurndal wrote:

[...]

I thought you were trying to judge the quality of Skilsaw worm drive
saws based on where they ranked on Amazon.

Among professional carpenters they have always been go-to saw and highly
regarded in the industry. I trust that reputation over Amazon reviews,
that's all I'm saying.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

I always take the reviews with a big grain of salt -
- the Chevy Vega was MotorTrend Car-Of-The-Year for 1971 -
.. yep I owned one ..

I drove one cross country. It was good on the trip but bunred oil after
that. I guess an 800 mile day is too much for it.

After you bore them out and put in cast iron sleaves and akuminum
postons instead of iron plated pistons in aluminum bores, they
actually were not a BAD engine. If you could keep them from
overheating even the aluminum wasn't bad - but keeping them cool was a
problem

Do all that - then drop the engine into a car that doesn't rot away
in 3 or 4 years ..
then you might have a car-of-the-year candidate !
John T.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I always take the reviews with a big grain of salt -
- the Chevy Vega was MotorTrend Car-Of-The-Year for 1971 -
.. yep I owned one ..

I owned one, too. It was a nice little car with one big problem. The
aluminum block and steel head would heat and therefore expand unevenly,
resulting in blown head gaskets. The good news was that changing a head
gasket was pretty easy. The second time I had to do it took about a
half hour start to finish, and I'm no mechanic. The third time it
happened I put in a new block with steel cylinder sleeves.

I bought mine used - just 4 years old - and it already had rust
holes - and older rust holes that had been patched !
... that and the smoke-machine of a motor.
... yeah nice little car .. says you and MotorTrend.
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I still favor a Skil Worm Drive, but they are not cheap.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2017-08-16, Bob La Londe wrote:

I still favor a Skil Worm Drive, but they are not cheap.

Compared to what?

https://www.amazon.com/SKILSAW-SPT77WML-01-15-Amp-Lightweight-Circular/dp/B00B7EUS46/ref=dp_ob_title_hi

*****OR*****

https://www.timberwolftools.com/mafe...c-circular-saw

Yer money, yer choice.

nb

On 2017-08-15, Scott Lurndal wrote:

[...]

OK, but it sure looks to me like all you were saying was, "There's a lot

On 2017-08-15, Scott Lurndal
wrote:

[...]

Well yeah, that too. :-)
I wasn't trying to lead us off on another tangent, just making the point
that the Skilsaw worms are as good as everyone says they are and are
better than those other despite what a list of reviews might lead you to
believe.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)