Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco Art Todesco is offline

Default Cordless telephones

On 8/14/2017 7:40 PM, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 14 Aug 2017 15:23:28 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 4:25:50 PM UTC-4, Bob wrote:
Can I plug the base-unit into the phone-jack and use its cordless handset in a different room?

Yes. One thing you might want to check though is how you check for
and pick up messages. I've always used the main base station to listen to them
on the speakerphone. You may be able to retrieve them from the
other handsets too, seems logical, but I'd check the features/

Yes, that's one of the best features of the Uniden I have. No point in
giving the model number. It's old. (Though except for the one button
and two batteries it works just as well as ~10 years ago.) I can play
my messages from any extension. I don't have to go upstairs where the
base is. I can do just about anything else from the extensions and just
about anything when calling in from another phone.

When I was on my long trip this spring, I called in using Skype and I
was supposed to be able to interrupt my outgoing message to play my
incoming ones, delete them, and make room for more. But I never got a
return beep or instruction (I think it gives instructions in English,
rather than beeps). I think the problem was using Skype and it would
work with a standard domestic phone call but I haven't checked.

By this time, a friend checked for me and found it didn't even play my
message, only a beep, becuase it was full. All the more reason for me to
delete messages, but I couldn't, and this was only 3 weeks into a 3
months trip.

When I got home I had about 28 messages adn 18 were from one spammer, 8
were from other spammers and only 1 or 2 had any value. Who knows who
called in the remaining 8 weeks, cause it didn't asnwer.

The one advantage of this was that the number of spam calls I get now is
markedly lower than before my trip. I think I've only gotten 1 in the
last 2 or 3 weeks but before the trip the same place called every day,
and others called to.

instructions for whatever you decide to buy. Probably a lot of
choices on Ebay too.

Can I can buy only a charger for that cordless handset?

Probably, but the typical gear is sold as a set of about 4 phones
with chargers. Costco for example always has several or more
choices for ~$45.

Speaking of spammers, the Panasonic models have a memory for spam
numbers. When you get a call, (you need caller ID) and you determine
it's a spammer, you then put the numbers in the spam memory. Future
calls from that number are then blocked.