Posted to rec.woodworking
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default New circular saw

On 8/15/2017 6:46 AM, Dr. Deb wrote:
I bought a Black and Decker 7 1/4" circular saw a few months ago and loved it.

Last Friday I was breaking down some 2" Southern Yellow Pine (with the required 12' rips) and it started blowing smoke, vast quantities of smoke, out the motor vents, with the melodic sound of bearings going south.

Did a bit of research and the DeWalt 575 was the first or second on everyone's list. It should be in today and we will see if it lives up to its billing.

B & D was the choice of professionals in the past but the last pro
quality tool they made was probably about 1960. They were fine for the
home handyman use. I had one for many years for light duty. Making 12'
rips was not their forte.

I don't know about DeWalt. They used to be a higher quality. Meantime,
can you get the B&D repaired under warranty? Keep it as a spare or sell
it and recoupe some of your cost.