Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hammer drills - corded

I've got a Makita SDS Drive Rotary Hammer that does a good job in brick and
newer concrete upto 1/2" with no problems. Bigger in a pinch. I used it to
set all the redheads for my inner office, tire changer, air compressor feet,
and milling machine.

For old concrete and large bits I've got a Milwaukee spline driver. I've
used it to drive 1-1/2 holes through 80 year old structural concrete upto
two feet thick by drilling a pilot hole with a smaller 3' bit, and then
drilling from both sides with a 1-1/2 18" bit. Stuff I really should have
been doing with a core drill.

The Milwaukee is about 16-17 years old. The Makita is 18 or 19 years old.
I do have a couple Milwaukee hammers drills that are good for smaller holes
as well, but the cheap bits you can usually get in the smaller straight
shank sizes don't hold up very well. I was a licensed communication
contractor from 12/1993 to 12/2016 so my drills aw a lot of use for running
conduit, setting anchors, and fishing wire.