Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hammer drills - corded

I need to buy a hammer drill to fasten a ledger board to a foundation for a
deck. What do you guys like in hammer drills (corded only)?

Thanks,
Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/13/2017 2:07 PM, tdacon wrote:
I need to buy a hammer drill to fasten a ledger board to a foundation for a
deck. What do you guys like in hammer drills (corded only)?

Thanks,
Tom

I've been using a Bosch 'Bulldog' SDS-Plus for a long time and have found
it quite reliable and usable. It seems to be popular among many users and
quite often when you see someone using a hammer-drill on a TV show that is
what it will be. But, if you are wanting it for one job and have never
needed one before, maybe you don't really need one. I realize that this
will come off as heresy to some but you don't really need to own _every_
tool in existence. If it is a one-time job and you don't have any future
plans for using it again, maybe you can just rent one for an afternoon.
Keep mind, SDS bits are on the pricey side to buy so you need to be
selective about what you get.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-7-5...5VSR/202080348
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/13/2017 2:07 PM, tdacon wrote:
I need to buy a hammer drill to fasten a ledger board to a foundation
for a deck. What do you guys like in hammer drills (corded only)?

Thanks,
Tom

I like a borrowed one. I have very limited use so I borrowed the
Milwaukee from work.

It works. There may be better but that is the only I ever used.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, August 13, 2017 at 5:10:51 PM UTC-4, J. Clarke wrote:
In article ,
says...

I need to buy a hammer drill to fasten a ledger board to a foundation for a
deck. What do you guys like in hammer drills (corded only)?

Thanks,
Tom

If you need it for a one-off and don't plan to use it again, the Harbor
Freight works fine. Don't know how long it will last but it will get your
ledger board in for sure.

It'll last a lot longer than a one-off job.

I don't know that I'd recommend one for a commercial application, but I
bought a 1/2 HF hammer drill a whole bunch of years back for 2 purposes
on the same one-off job:

1 - Drill holes in my garage foundation to attach mesh before parging the wall,

and then, assuming it survived,

2 - Mixing 5 gallon buckets of concrete resurfacer when I did the floor.
I know you don't need a hammer drill for that, but for $35, why use my
at-the-time good corded non-hammer drill?

That $35 drill is still around and it's drilled hundreds of holes in concrete,
block, landscape timbers and the trunks of fresh cut Christmas trees for those
spiked stands.

It's big and bulky, but it gets the job done every time. The variable speed
adjustment is getting finicky - and that's being kind - but for $35, I'd
probably just get another one if this flakes out completely.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-...ill-68169.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 13 Aug 2017 11:07:20 -0700, "tdacon"
wrote:

I need to buy a hammer drill to fasten a ledger board to a foundation for a
deck. What do you guys like in hammer drills (corded only)?

Bosch.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/13/17 1:07 PM, tdacon wrote:
I need to buy a hammer drill to fasten a ledger board to a foundation
for a deck. What do you guys like in hammer drills (corded only)?

Thanks,
Tom

Forget the hammer drill and buy a post hole digger. :-)
Attaching a deck to a house is way too much work and asking for trouble.
I prefer to use separate posts/footings instead of a ledger connection.
Then you don't have to worry about securing it to the rim joist, or
flashing and waterproofing or any of that. Also, the deck can expand
and contact separate from the house.

Just my 2 cents.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 13 Aug 2017 18:22:16 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 8/13/17 1:07 PM, tdacon wrote:
I need to buy a hammer drill to fasten a ledger board to a foundation
for a deck. What do you guys like in hammer drills (corded only)?

Thanks,
Tom

Forget the hammer drill and buy a post hole digger. :-)
Attaching a deck to a house is way too much work and asking for trouble.
I prefer to use separate posts/footings instead of a ledger connection.
Then you don't have to worry about securing it to the rim joist, or
flashing and waterproofing or any of that. Also, the deck can expand
and contact separate from the house.

Just my 2 cents.

The deck on my Vermont house pitched up and the water ran up against
the house, rotting out the rim joist. It turned into a mess because
there was no real access to the "crawl" space[*]. When I replaced the
deck, I made it free-standing, with about 2" between its frame and the
house. Enough to run the siding down between them (before the deck
was built). I did have a problem with the deck pitching again but was
able to just cut sections of 4x4 off to re-level it. ;-) The frost
line in Vermont can be amazingly deep.
[*] Six feet deep but only a small window, in a well, for access. I
found a skinny contortionist carpenter to fix the problem. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, August 13, 2017 at 6:57:15 PM UTC-5, wrote:

"Hammer Drill" or "Rotary Hammer Drill"? The first is a worthless piece of junk.

Never heard that. I have been using hammer drills professionally, sometimes all day long for over 40 years and NEVER knew that, and never even heard that among my fellow professionals. I have had a version of this 10 amp guy for years, and my first lasted almost 20 years on the job. I couldn't kill it for years, the one day it just quit.

http://www.cpooutlets.com/dewalt-dwd...efault,pd.html

CPO had that drill on sale as a recon for $79 several months ago so I couldn't resist.

I probably don't use these drills as hard as many do. I drill a lot of 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", and on rare occasions 3/4" holes in all kinds of concrete and masonry. Some times as many as many as 50 a day. For anything bigger than 3/4" though, I would switch to an SDS unit.

Even in engineered plans I don't see any requirements for attaching sole plates, equipment mounting plates or structural components to cinder block walls, or anything else that requires much more than 3/8". Since I don't do heavy construction anymore, my SDS drill rarely sees the light of day. Don't like the size, don't like the price of the bits, and don't like how much real estate they take up in the truck.

Personally, I would do as Ed suggested and see if you could borrow one. How many holes will you be drilling? 15? 20? Hardly worth buying the drill unless you have other plans for it. If I had other projects or uses in mind I would look at the HF as others have mentioned. I had one, it lasted a day, and the HF guys simply handed me a new one when I took it back. At 7.5 amps of power it is great for its intended purpose as well as a more powerful utility drill.

Oh yeah... take -MIKE-'s word on that ledger detail. It can easily be the undoing of a deck structure. If you go forward with that detail, make sure you use pressure treated for the ledge and run a bead of sealant behind the ledger before installation. After hanging the ledger, make sure you seal the gap between the upper edge of your ledge board to the foundation connection point.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks, people. Good information.

To explain a bit, I'm working with a local woodworker and cabinetmaker who
sometimes takes on bigger external projects like this deck replacement,
which is just a utility deck behind my garage. He's a good friend, and we're
partners in some things like a pickup, a chainsaw, and some shop tools. This
won't be his first deck and won't be his last either but he doesn't have a
hammer drill and kind of thinks he ought to, so I'm funding the tool for his
shop and we'll first use it on my own deck replacement. I want it to be a
professional-quality tool but like nailshooter he likely won't have much
need to go bigger than 1/4 - 3/8 in concrete. I've owned Milwaukee, Dewalt,
and Bosch myself and had good luck with them but know nothing as yet about
hammer drills so I appreciate your recommendations.

I'll take Mike's word on sealing the ledger. You're talking to long-time
classic wooden boat guys here - my friend is an English-trained shipwright,
and I've owned a classic wooden sloop for over forty years. So we know
caulk. Fresh water leaks are the death of a wooden boat.

Thanks again,

Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/14/17 10:01 AM, tdacon wrote:
I'll take Mike's word on sealing the ledger. You're talking to
long-time classic wooden boat guys here - my friend is an
English-trained shipwright, and I've owned a classic wooden sloop for
over forty years. So we know caulk. Fresh water leaks are the death
of a wooden boat.

Thanks again,

Tom

My advice was to not use a ledger at all. I advise to use separate
footings/posts and not have the deck physically attached to the house at
all. If digging too close to the house is a deterring issue, then you
could always put the posts 3 or 4 feet away from the house and
cantilever the joists over the beam, to the house.

However, if you decide to use a ledger against the house, just do your
homework first.
It's not just a matter of sealing. You really need to use proper
flashing that goes up under the siding and down over the ledger.

Also, look into the newer technology that uses bolts that go through the
rim joists and attach to the floor joists to prevent the rim joist from
pulling away from the framing.

Honestly, digging a few more posts holes is a lot less work, anyway, and
then you don't even have to worry about waterproofing and ledger bolts,
etc.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 11:51:24 AM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:
On 8/14/17 10:01 AM, tdacon wrote:
I'll take Mike's word on sealing the ledger. You're talking to
long-time classic wooden boat guys here - my friend is an
English-trained shipwright, and I've owned a classic wooden sloop for
over forty years. So we know caulk. Fresh water leaks are the death
of a wooden boat.

That was me. Cracks, seams, gaps... all need waterproofing of some type when outside unless it is fencing. Part of my company is waterproofing, so I use a LOT of elastomeric caulks to seal dissimilar materials to one another..

My advice was to not use a ledger at all. I advise to use separate
footings/posts and not have the deck physically attached to the house at
all. If digging too close to the house is a deterring issue, then you
could always put the posts 3 or 4 feet away from the house and
cantilever the joists over the beam, to the house.

I know NOTHING about building in Vermont, but I think styles of building decks are probably pretty regional. For example, the county I live in is almost 1300 square miles (!!) so that comprises a lot of area. At the southern end of the county there is a lot of black dirt, and pretty stable substrate. North of that is a wide band of very plastic soil that moves tremendously, keeping at least three hundred slab/foundation repair guys constantly busy. It is no uncommon for a house to have large sections break off and move away from the larger portion of the house. When I revamped my parent's house for sale a few years ago, they had a 1" separation of the back third of their house from the slab!

North of the city/county, topsoil barely covers rock. To make VA/FHA requirements on new homes, they truck in soil from the south end of the county to be able to meet the minimum depth requirements. Slabs are poured on top of cleaned bedrock if a engineer can determine the proper type and thickness of the underlying rock. Houses built on those never, ever, move.

So we attach our decks to the houses for two different reasons. First, the deck that isn't attached to the house can simply wander off into the yard over a period of years. And second, if the house is completely stable, why not? We get torrential rain here, followed by long periods of dryness, then drought. We have no snow melts, no ice build ups, nothing that would keep wood soaked for long periods.

That being said, I don't like the ledger detail. It is commonly used, but to me, especially considering today's inferior material quality it is a bad one. I won't use a wood ledger unless people put me in that position by wanting the lowest price on the job. I learned this while doing commercial work.

I go to one of the local welding shops and have them cut a piece of 3" angle for me to the length I need. This is usually about 16 feet or so, and costs me about $60. Then I have them punch 1/2" holes every 16". It always winds up with the total cost being about $125 for the piece, so I am guessing I am paying about $4 a hole.

I put the ledge up so it looks like a "7", so that when it is mounted the anchors are shielded from water. After the holes are marked, I put a coat of enamel on the angle while the anchor holes (3/8") are being drilled. I mount the angle and set the joists on top of it, putting blocking in between the joists. I don't nail the joists to the anything to attach, like you description, they sit on the angle, but cantilever from the last structural beam. I do tack in the bridge block, but that's it.

I have been using that detail for 30 years, and as I said it is modified from a detail I used when pouring tilt panels and attached bar joists to standing walls. Never had that detail fail, but for some reason, I am the only guy I know that uses it. I see those damn wood ledgers up everywhere, and the structure/joists toe nailed into it. Decks built that way will fail, and some do in just a few years. I can see how that would be a worthless detail is you had snow or ice on top of it.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

I've got a Makita SDS Drive Rotary Hammer that does a good job in brick and
newer concrete upto 1/2" with no problems. Bigger in a pinch. I used it to
set all the redheads for my inner office, tire changer, air compressor feet,
and milling machine.

For old concrete and large bits I've got a Milwaukee spline driver. I've
used it to drive 1-1/2 holes through 80 year old structural concrete upto
two feet thick by drilling a pilot hole with a smaller 3' bit, and then
drilling from both sides with a 1-1/2 18" bit. Stuff I really should have
been doing with a core drill.

The Milwaukee is about 16-17 years old. The Makita is 18 or 19 years old.
I do have a couple Milwaukee hammers drills that are good for smaller holes
as well, but the cheap bits you can usually get in the smaller straight
shank sizes don't hold up very well. I was a licensed communication
contractor from 12/1993 to 12/2016 so my drills aw a lot of use for running
conduit, setting anchors, and fishing wire.

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/makita-hr2621
Rotary Hammer Drill. Drills through concrete like butter. Good.

http://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/makita-hp2070f
Hammer Drill. Pathetic for drilling concrete compared to the rotary. Usually cheaper than rotary so people start with this before they learn that drilling concrete requires the rotary and SDS bits.

On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 2:19:02 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/14/17 1:07 PM, wrote:
[...]

IMO, if the soil it too unstable to built upon, then nothing should be
built upon it. :-)
I grew up in the snow belt on Lake Erie, and our frost line was well
below 3 feet, so I am familiar with the "crawl" effect of freeze & thaw
cycles. even in cases where footers are below 4ft deep, if the footing
isn't smooth, the ice can grab it and heave it upwards.

In regards to this, I find this as even more reason to not attach the
deck to the house. If you do end up with a deck crawl, it's going to
try to pull away from the house, causing a failure somewhere in the chain.

There are ways to anchor footings to bedrock when there isn't enough
topsoil, but I've never had to deal with that. But it's important
around here where the bedrock is less than a foot deep in many places
and there are lots and lots of hillside building.

We almost bought a home on a hillside with a gorgeous hilltop view, but
it had serious foundation issues. It was basically slipping down the
hill inch my inch every year. They had spent over $30k to have pilings
installed and we had the option of paying several thousands to "extend
the warranty" which had already been extended about 3x with 2 extra
piling installation jobs. To me the extended warranty was simply a down
payment on future piling installations. I don't think that house will
be there 20 years from now. Or if it is, it won't have that gorgeous
"hilltop" view anymore. :-)

I like your iron ledger technique. You should send that in to Fine
Homebuilding.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/14/17 1:47 PM, wrote:
http://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/makita-hr2621 Rotary Hammer
Drill. Drills through concrete like butter. Good.

http://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/makita-hp2070f Hammer Drill.
Pathetic for drilling concrete compared to the rotary. Usually
cheaper than rotary so people start with this before they learn that
drilling concrete requires the rotary and SDS bits.

Rotary drills are a whole different animal that a hammer drill.
The mechanics are are much different and because of that the rotary
drill produce a LOT more force than a hammer drill. It's probably 10:1
in force applied to the bit.

So you're opinion is totally valid. You also get the added benefit of
being able to put percussion bits in the rotary to used as a jack
hammer, etc. Great tool.

But a hammer drill has it's place and given that it's also multi-tasker,
it's a valuable tool to have.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

I wish mine were a three mode of operation like this one.
I drill and hammer drill. Wish I had hammer to put in scoops
to dig out compacted dirt when doing work in basements and decks.
Martin