Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Hammer drills - corded

On Sunday, August 13, 2017 at 5:10:51 PM UTC-4, J. Clarke wrote:
In article ,
says...

I need to buy a hammer drill to fasten a ledger board to a foundation for a
deck. What do you guys like in hammer drills (corded only)?

Thanks,
Tom

If you need it for a one-off and don't plan to use it again, the Harbor
Freight works fine. Don't know how long it will last but it will get your
ledger board in for sure.

It'll last a lot longer than a one-off job.

I don't know that I'd recommend one for a commercial application, but I
bought a 1/2 HF hammer drill a whole bunch of years back for 2 purposes
on the same one-off job:

1 - Drill holes in my garage foundation to attach mesh before parging the wall,

and then, assuming it survived,

2 - Mixing 5 gallon buckets of concrete resurfacer when I did the floor.
I know you don't need a hammer drill for that, but for $35, why use my
at-the-time good corded non-hammer drill?

That $35 drill is still around and it's drilled hundreds of holes in concrete,
block, landscape timbers and the trunks of fresh cut Christmas trees for those
spiked stands.

It's big and bulky, but it gets the job done every time. The variable speed
adjustment is getting finicky - and that's being kind - but for $35, I'd
probably just get another one if this flakes out completely.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-...ill-68169.html