Posted to rec.woodworking
bob prohaska bob prohaska is offline

Default Repair/reinforcement of double pedestal desk

whit3rd wrote:

Beware, though, it's usually a kind of hot-melt glue, you'll need a
glue pot and hotplate and have to assemble before it hardens.

Since it's only one joint I'll try a hot plate and water bath with
a thermometer. A few test joints on scrap wood ought to provide
a sense of how it handles. I'm near Sacramento, CA, so keeping things
warm is easy, just put them in the sun. The trick then is sticking the
joint before _I_ melt 8-)

If one joint has gone brittle and failed, perhaps others are brittle but
have not yet failed.

That's a reasonable concern. Far as I can tell all the other joints in
the piece are sound. The one that failed most likely broke when somebody
skidded the desk and snagged the leg; there's considerable scuff damage
to the feet.

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska