Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Samuel M. Goldwasser[_2_] Samuel M. Goldwasser[_2_] is offline

Default USB Chargers

Jeff Liebermann writes:

On Wed, 09 Aug 2017 19:13:16 -0400, (Samuel M.
Goldwasser) wrote:

N_Cook writes:

On 09/08/2017 18:08, Samuel M. Goldwasser wrote:
I figured I'd post a link to this as I have recently tested a dozen or
so mostly intended for Apple devices.

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/audiofaq.htm#audipcrhg

Comments welcome.

That does not include this lot, seized recently
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/15453804.__1m_of_fake_Apple_products_seized_the__b iggest_in_history_/

One Web site said that something 90 percent of the Apple chargers sold
on eBay were fakes. I don't know if that includes only those listed as
"Genuine Apple" or just "Apple".

It did include "Genuine Apple" is has become a sure sign that the
adapters sold are not genuine Apple.
http://www.archersecuritygroup.com/tell-real-apple-charger-fake-life-may-depend/

The real chargers:
https://www.apple.com/power-adapters/

There are quite a few web sites that offer advice on how to recognize
the difference between a genuine Apple charger and a counterfeit
clone. Most of them use slight differences in appearance to make the
determination. They never seem to mention using the weight of the
charger to identify the counterfeit. I've been doing that with LiIon
18650 cells with good results using a cheap eBay scale:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/182406361786
The fake cells usually weigh less.
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-know-a-fake-18650-battery/

However, I haven't tried weighing chargers. When torn apart, the
counterfeit chargers tend to have much fewer components than the real
charger. For example:
http://www.righto.com/2015/11/macbook-charger-teardown-surprising.html
http://static.righto.com/images/magsafe/top_comparison.jpg
The real Apple charger is on the left. I would expect that a fake
could be identified by the weight, as long as Apple doesn't redesign
the electronics, which could be identified by a change in FCCID number
and model number.

You might want to get a scale, record the weights, and add them to
your chart.

There's mention on at least one Web site (and in the writeup) about the
fakers adding iron blocks to make up the weight.

X-rays will tell. ;-)

--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/