Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default USB Chargers

I figured I'd post a link to this as I have recently tested a dozen or
so mostly intended for Apple devices.

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/audiofaq.htm#audipcrhg

Comments welcome.

--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/

--- sam

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 09/08/2017 18:08, Samuel M. Goldwasser wrote:
I figured I'd post a link to this as I have recently tested a dozen or
so mostly intended for Apple devices.

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/audiofaq.htm#audipcrhg

Comments welcome.

--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/

--- sam

That does not include this lot, seized recently
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/15453804.__1m_of_fake_Apple_products_seized_the__b iggest_in_history_/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N_Cook writes:

On 09/08/2017 18:08, Samuel M. Goldwasser wrote:
I figured I'd post a link to this as I have recently tested a dozen or
so mostly intended for Apple devices.

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/audiofaq.htm#audipcrhg

Comments welcome.

That does not include this lot, seized recently
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/15453804.__1m_of_fake_Apple_products_seized_the__b iggest_in_history_/

One Web site said that something 90 percent of the Apple chargers sold
on eBay were fakes. I don't know if that includes only those listed as
"Genuine Apple" or just "Apple".

--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 09 Aug 2017 19:13:16 -0400, (Samuel M.
Goldwasser) wrote:

N_Cook writes:

On 09/08/2017 18:08, Samuel M. Goldwasser wrote:
I figured I'd post a link to this as I have recently tested a dozen or
so mostly intended for Apple devices.

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/audiofaq.htm#audipcrhg

Comments welcome.

That does not include this lot, seized recently
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/15453804.__1m_of_fake_Apple_products_seized_the__b iggest_in_history_/

One Web site said that something 90 percent of the Apple chargers sold
on eBay were fakes. I don't know if that includes only those listed as
"Genuine Apple" or just "Apple".

It did include "Genuine Apple" is has become a sure sign that the
adapters sold are not genuine Apple.
http://www.archersecuritygroup.com/tell-real-apple-charger-fake-life-may-depend/

The real chargers:
https://www.apple.com/power-adapters/

There are quite a few web sites that offer advice on how to recognize
the difference between a genuine Apple charger and a counterfeit
clone. Most of them use slight differences in appearance to make the
determination. They never seem to mention using the weight of the
charger to identify the counterfeit. I've been doing that with LiIon
18650 cells with good results using a cheap eBay scale:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/182406361786
The fake cells usually weigh less.
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-know-a-fake-18650-battery/

However, I haven't tried weighing chargers. When torn apart, the
counterfeit chargers tend to have much fewer components than the real
charger. For example:
http://www.righto.com/2015/11/macbook-charger-teardown-surprising.html
http://static.righto.com/images/magsafe/top_comparison.jpg
The real Apple charger is on the left. I would expect that a fake
could be identified by the weight, as long as Apple doesn't redesign
the electronics, which could be identified by a change in FCCID number
and model number.

You might want to get a scale, record the weights, and add them to
your chart.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 10 Aug 2017 13:14:07 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

It did include "Genuine Apple" is has become a sure sign that the
adapters sold are not genuine Apple.
http://www.archersecuritygroup.com/tell-real-apple-charger-fake-life-may-depend/

The real chargers:
https://www.apple.com/power-adapters/

It looks like Apple used a lot of engineering just to charge a battery.
From the writeup, the Apple charger does not seem to rate much if any
better than many of the fakes.

Whether an Apple charger represents a quality device is not the issue
or the problem. It's whether the chargers in question are safe to
operate and meet the various safety specifications. Much of the extra
circuitry in an Apple charger is required to comply with power factor
correction (on the larger chargers), power line isolation, overload
protection, efficiency requirements, operating temperature range,
EMI/RFI, electromagnetic compatibility, etc. Every single logo on the
(larger) serial number labels represent an expensive certification
test.

Anyone can easily design a usable charger by simply copying the
recommended circuit on the data sheet. Making one that's safe,
rugged, customer proof, and passes the necessary tests, is another
story.

In my never humble opinion, Apple chargers are designed to survive
about 5-7 years under normal use, after which they mechanically fall
apart. There are no concessions to reparability or long life. At
best, they are nice looking, overpriced, throw-away products. However,
I'm fairly sure that a genuine Apple charger is unlikely to
electrocute me or set my house on fire, which is something I cannot
say about the counterfeits.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, August 9, 2017 at 1:08:32 PM UTC-4, Samuel M. Goldwasser wrote:
I figured I'd post a link to this as I have recently tested a dozen or
so mostly intended for Apple devices.

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/audiofaq.htm#audipcrhg

Comments welcome.

None except nice to see you posting and hope all is well Sam.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Goldwasser) wrote:

N_Cook writes:

[...]

There's mention on at least one Web site (and in the writeup) about the
fakers adding iron blocks to make up the weight.

X-rays will tell. ;-)

--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 10 Aug 2017 15:58:48 -0400, (Samuel M.
Goldwasser) wrote:

There's mention on at least one Web site (and in the writeup) about the
fakers adding iron blocks to make up the weight.

I haven't seen iron blocks, but have seen sand inside one 18650 cell.
The owner didn't want me to take it apart for some reason, but I could
feel and hear the sand when I shook the cell. However, they added too
much sand and instead of the usual 44-49 gram weight (for unprotected
cells), it weighed about 60 grams. My guess(tm) is that they thought
buyers would think they were getting more for their money if it were
heavier. I just weighed a few known fake 18650 cells (Trustfire, GTL,
Ultrafire, SkyWolfEye, etc). Most weighed 33-35 grams. One older
Ultrafire "BCR-18650" weighed 47 grams. My guess is that it dates
from the days when Ultrafire was a legitimate brand name.

X-rays will tell. ;-)

Yes, unless the bad guys add a sheet of lead foil inside the power
supply as "shielding".

More...

USB power supplies and chargers:
http://www.lygte-info.dk/info/indexUSB%20UK.html

Index of tested USB power supplies/chargers:
http://lygte-info.dk/info/ChargerIndex%20UK.html
(Note the column in the chart on safety).

Test results on various supplies/chargers:
http://www.lygte-info.dk/info/usbPowerSupplyTest%20UK.html

How does a USB charger work:
http://lygte-info.dk/info/SMPS%20workings%20UK.html

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 10 Aug 2017 16:02:08 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...
In my never humble opinion, Apple chargers are designed to survive
about 5-7 years under normal use, after which they mechanically fall
apart. There are no concessions to reparability or long life. At
best, they are nice looking, overpriced, throw-away products. However,
I'm fairly sure that a genuine Apple charger is unlikely to
electrocute me or set my house on fire, which is something I cannot
say about the counterfeits.

I agree with you , but even brand names have their problems. The
Samsung is a well known brand and their cell phones would burn up.

My current smartphone is a Samsung S6. I guess I should buy a pocket
fire extinguisher in case my phone catches fire.
https://www.google.com/search?q=pocket+fire+extinguisher&tbm=isch
Soon, everyone will be carrying pocket fire extinguishers.

Most manufacturers of laptops, smartphones, and cell phones have had
problems with older LiPo batteries. These would bulge, which is
normal during a fast charge cycle, which was most irritating, but
allegedly not considered hazardous. A few phones did catch fire,
which attracted media attention. However, what finally got their
attention was the large number of YouTube videos showing what happens
when someone pounds a nail into a LiPo battery pack. The result was
the general addition of a BMS (battery management system) designed to
protect the battery pack against over charge (above 4.2V), excessive
discharge current, and discharge below about 2.8V. That was
sufficient to reduce the number of spontaneous fires.

However, that didn't stop the problems at the manufacturing end. Sony
had a huge recall of laptop battery packs for leaving scrap metal
inside the cell which could eventually puncture the insulating
separator and start a fire. Samsung had a similar problem with two
generations of batteries in the S7.
http://www.techradar.com/news/samsung-galaxy-note-7-battery-fires-heres-why-they-exploded

Ok, so much for batteries. However, we're talking about power
supplies, not batteries. We're also talking about a fairly small
number of smartphone batteries that caught fire. I'm too lazy to
calculate the odds, but I suspect you're safer carrying a Samsung S7
than you are trying to talk on your phone while charging it with
counterfeit Apple power supply charger. For a smoking battery, the
risks are statistical. For a counterfeit charger with insufficient AC
line isolation, their situational.

Other well known brands have had their problems.

The Sony laptop battery recall affected almost every major laptop
manufacturer and a huge number of laptop batteries in 2006:
https://www.engadget.com/2006/10/19/sony-battery-recall-approaches-10-million-costs-mounting/
When Sony laptops switched to Panasonic batteries, it happened again
in 2013:
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/sony-vaio-batteries-recalled

Apple had problems with some of their power supplies:
https://www.apple.com/support/usbadapter-european/
https://www.apple.com/support/usbadapter/exchangeprogram/
https://www.apple.com/support/ac-wallplug-adapter/
https://www.apple.com/support/usbadapter-takeback/
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204551
Seen any recalls of counterfeit power supplies and chargers?

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

rickman writes:

Ralph Mowery wrote on 8/10/2017 4:02 PM:
In article ,
says...

In my never humble opinion, Apple chargers are designed to survive
about 5-7 years under normal use, after which they mechanically fall
apart. There are no concessions to reparability or long life. At
best, they are nice looking, overpriced, throw-away products. However,
I'm fairly sure that a genuine Apple charger is unlikely to
electrocute me or set my house on fire, which is something I cannot
say about the counterfeits.

I agree with you , but even brand names have their problems. The
Samsung is a well known brand and their cell phones would burn up.

Other well known brands have had their problems.

A *lot* less often and when they do have problems they own up to it
and recall them. You won't see any of the cheap models recalling
products.

Also, the Samsung recall of fire-prone phones was due to battery
problems, not charger problems.

--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:
http://www.repairfaq.org/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, August 9, 2017 at 1:08:32 PM UTC-4, Samuel M. Goldwasser wrote:
I figured I'd post a link to this as I have recently tested a dozen or
so mostly intended for Apple devices.

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/audiofaq.htm#audipcrhg

Comments welcome.

You didn't test beyond the rated power?
I always like to see what happens when things are overloaded.
Do they shut down, or stink and smoke?

George H.

--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/

--- sam

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

writes:

On Wednesday, August 9, 2017 at 1:08:32 PM UTC-4, Samuel M. Goldwasser wrote:
I figured I'd post a link to this as I have recently tested a dozen or
so mostly intended for Apple devices.

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/audiofaq.htm#audipcrhg

Comments welcome.

You didn't test beyond the rated power?
I always like to see what happens when things are overloaded.
Do they shut down, or stink and smoke?

No, at least not intentionally, sorry. Some ended up being tested at higher
current than their ratings and at least didn't stink or smoke or shut
down during the quick test.

And, in the interest of science, I have just purchased a 12 W charger
from the Apple store to compare. ;-)

--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 8/10/2017 2:15 PM, John-Del wrote:
On Wednesday, August 9, 2017 at 1:08:32 PM UTC-4, Samuel M. Goldwasser wrote:
I figured I'd post a link to this as I have recently tested a dozen or
so mostly intended for Apple devices.

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/audiofaq.htm#audipcrhg

Comments welcome.

None except nice to see you posting and hope all is well Sam.

Me also.

Long time no see!

RwP

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, August 12, 2017 at 8:24:10 AM UTC-4, Samuel M. Goldwasser wrote:
writes:

On Wednesday, August 9, 2017 at 1:08:32 PM UTC-4, Samuel M. Goldwasser wrote:
I figured I'd post a link to this as I have recently tested a dozen or
so mostly intended for Apple devices.

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/audiofaq.htm#audipcrhg

Comments welcome.

You didn't test beyond the rated power?
I always like to see what happens when things are overloaded.
Do they shut down, or stink and smoke?

No, at least not intentionally, sorry. Some ended up being tested at higher
current than their ratings and at least didn't stink or smoke or shut
down during the quick test.

And, in the interest of science, I have just purchased a 12 W charger
from the Apple store to compare. ;-)

If it's just a 5V supply you could buy a Phihong wall wart for ~$15.
You'd have to re-wire the plug. How much is the charger from the apple
store? (If you don't mind my asking.)

George H.

--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

M. Goldwasser wrote:
I figured I'd post a link to this as I have recently tested a dozen or
so mostly intended for Apple devices.

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/audiofaq.htm#audipcrhg

Comments welcome.
You didn't test beyond the rated power?
I always like to see what happens when things are overloaded.
Do they shut down, or stink and smoke?

No, at least not intentionally, sorry. Some ended up being tested at higher
current than their ratings and at least didn't stink or smoke or shut
down during the quick test.

And, in the interest of science, I have just purchased a 12 W charger
from the Apple store to compare. ;-)

If it's just a 5V supply you could buy a Phihong wall wart for ~$15.
You'd have to re-wire the plug.

Yes, of course, or less from MPJA.

How much is the charger from the apple store? (If you don't mind my asking.)

12 W charger is $19 delivered. It just arrived and tested very similar
to the one I bought on eBay as "Genuine Apple 12W Charger". Labeling
slightly different, but consistent with acceptable variations. Gold and
silver refer to the USB contacts.

Rated |--- Volts (V) with Load R of ---|
ID Description Max I | NL 10 5.0 3.3 2.5 2.0 |
1 Apple 5W A1265 Gold Pins 1.0 A 5.03 5.01 4.98 -- -- --
2 Apple 5W A1265 Tin Pins 1.0 A 5.01 5.00 4.97 -- -- --
3 Apple 10W A1357 Gold Pins #1 2.0 A 5.06 5.03 4.96 4.94 4.92 --
4 Apple 10W A1357 Gold Pins #2 2.0 A 5.04 4.96 4.95 4.94 4.90 --
5 Apple 12W A1401 Gold Pins 2.4 A 5.11 5.08 5.06 5.03 5.02 4.92
6 Apple 12W A1401 Tin Pins 2.4 A 5.11 5.09 5.07 5.05 4.98 4.97

#5 is from Apple Store, $19, #6 is from eBay, $7.

Have sent off to be X-rayed. ;-)

--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, August 15, 2017 3:41PM, (Samuel M.
Goldwasser) wrote:

Have sent off to be X-rayed. ;-)

I hope they don't lie to you.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

writes:

On Tuesday, August 15, 2017 3:41PM, (Samuel M.
Goldwasser) wrote:

Have sent off to be X-rayed. ;-)

I hope they don't lie to you.

Who?

#5 is from Apple Store, $19, #6 is from eBay, $7.

this is useful!!!

can you also record the voltages the supply imposes on the USB D+ and D- pins.

This tells the load how much current it is allowed to take.
thanks

mark

#5 is from Apple Store, $19, #6 is from eBay, $7.

this is useful!!!

can you also record the voltages the supply imposes on the USB D+ and
D- pins

This tells the load how much current it is allowed to take.
thanks

I meant to do that. Someday I'll get around to it, though not all of
these are still in my posession.

Except for the bogus white Samsung which didn't work at all, they all
seemed to be reasonable in charging speed. I suspect that one had
incorrect or no programming voltage.

--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:
http://www.repairfaq.org/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Purchased Original Apple 5 W charger on eBay in sealed box. Very
convincing but almost certainly all a fake:

http://repairfaq.cis.upenn.edu/Misc/....htm#audipafc1

--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Purchased a 5 W A1385 on eBay sealed in Apple box. Very convincing but
almost certainly fake:

http://repairfaq.cis.upenn.edu/Misc/....htm#audipafc1

--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/

USB car chargers Danny D'Amico Electronics Repair 0 December 27th 13 07:45 PM
USB chargers, anyone ? Arfa Daily Electronics Repair 58 November 4th 12 07:06 PM
USB chargers ARWadsworth UK diy 7 February 12th 12 12:16 PM
USB chargers ARWadsworth UK diy 6 August 7th 10 11:33 AM
Followup USB malfunction ? / Ezbus digital mixer /Ez-usb USB chip N_Cook Electronics Repair 16 June 7th 10 10:28 AM