Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default Repair/reinforcement of double pedestal desk

On Wednesday, August 9, 2017 at 12:09:07 PM UTC-5, dadiOH wrote:

I looked at your pix. If it were me I'd wipe some thickened epoxy on the
loosened tenon and whack it home. If you are a worrier, pin the tenon by
drilling through from the outside and inserting a dowel or two. You could
dowel the joints that aren't separated too.

I vote epoxy and dowel, also.

That fracture full length - scrape off the dried glue and epoxy that dislodged joint... maybe epoxy a block along the length, as well, is there's enough space. I think this is a close-up pic, which looks like a panel. The next pic (fracture top view) is, as you say, more clear of the situation. Again, I vote epoxy & pin.... minus the previously suggested block along the length.

Medallion indicates 1930-1940, if you hadn't already known.

Desk top looks like it has been used as a work bench/table.

I'm gonna go out on a limb. The desk is in pretty good structural shape. Clean it up and refinish it, make it look like a desk, again. Place a new top over the original, without damaging the refinished top. The desk doesn't appear to need reinforcing, for your lathe, so maybe rethink that.

As for as modifying the structure, for moving the lathe work desk/table, consider making a mobile base, with a foot lever to lift one end for lifting off the rollers on one end, then lowering the lever places the feet back on the floor. There is one or two guys... Jeff?, aka WoodChucker..., here, that has built a mobile base feature for their work benches or one of their tools.... I can't recall.

I'm partial to old furniture, that's why I would try to preserve the desk, itself, if reasonable. Just a thought of mine.

Yeah, and collect some 1930s - 1940s pennies and stash them in your lathe cabinet, as well. *Additional medallions.

Sonny