Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Old desk as bench for South Bend 10K lathe

"bob prohaska" wrote in message
news
Jim Wilkins wrote:

The most critical concern is not twisting the bed, normally
addressed
by leveling both ends crosswise. The Heavy 10 can be on a sheet
metal
stand because it has a pivot under the tailstock that lets the bed
center itself, but after it does the locking screws have to run in
hold it there against the cutting force that pushes the carriage
down.

That seems to imply the lathe is straighter than the table, at least
to start with. Makes sense. Now, will the table stay the same? My
guess
is "no".

Find the manual for the 10k and see what it says about mounting
requirements.

The usual, "Bolt it down securely", though they don't say anything
about leveling or checking for twist. It's an army manual, probably
intended for field use. The 10k is relatively lightweight, unlike
the heavy 10, and seems intended for repair rather than production.

Sometimes auto parts stores sell large oil drip pans. I was given a
used (flattened) Auto Trend Products pan almost 4' long.

That's a good idea, I'll keep an eye peeled.

Thank you!

bob prohaska

I think the Heavy 10 was more of a tool/instrument maker's machine,
wherever his shop was, not meant for serious production down on the
solid factory floor. It goes well with my 700 Lb Clausing mill of the
same age, another small shop machine that can be carried up stairs in
pieces. In the 1970's my stuff would have made a great inventor's
model shop