Posted to rec.woodworking
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default No Woodcraft in Tulsa for a while

On 8/8/2017 2:28 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 1:00:48 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:

I'm guessing the insurance company will keep tight reigns on all
merchandise so they can sell it and recoup expenses.

IF it is in good condition, they will pack it up and sell it through another outlet. No one wants to be responsible for possibly damaged equipment, no one wants possible safety issues (real or imagined)generated by using possibly unsafe equipment, and no one wants to try to warrant a new purchase of a damaged tool. A few saws, some hand tools, chisels and edged tools that have lost their temper are nothing to the big tools suppliers, especially when someone sues because they say they were damaged by an unsafe tool.

Your experience is similar to what I encountered with two serious fires.
Both were considered total losses. We had people there 24 hours to
keep vultures away. Admittance even to employees was limited for safety
reasons. Once everything was inspected, cleared by the Fire Marshall we
could salvage some materials, machines, etc. but the insurance company
also had people that came in to dispose of everything

While to a contractor or woodworker the slightly damaged tools are
potential great bargains or gifts from the tornado gods, to the insurers
it it all about money and settling claims.

Having lived through two total looses (1976, 2007) I can say I never
want to have to do it again.