Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
bob prohaska bob prohaska is offline

Default Old desk as bench for South Bend 10K lathe

Gunner Asch wrote:

The reason I asked this..a friend purchased ..at an estate sale..a
30s writing desk..which he toted home and proceded to make dry flys on
it. A relative happened to stop by from LA...she was an antique
dealer down there..and paid him $2k cash for it on the spot. It
turned out to be a german desk of some sort that was quite popular
with the vintage crowd. Not "mint" by any means either.

I'd be thrilled to be that lucky 8-) This desk was made in Chicago
by the Commercial Furniture Company. It seems to be of northern
softwood, not even hardwood. However, it _is_ wood, not composite,
and the joinery is nice (dovetailed drawers, mortise and tenon legs).

https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/ta.../period/1930s/

Some of that stuff is worth a couple bucks.

Interesting site. The prices are breathtaking ($1500 for a tanker desk???).
The wood pedestal desks are much finer than mine. Still, I won't go hacking
and drilling on it just yet..

Thanks for writing!

bob prohaska