Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Old desk as bench for South Bend 10K lathe

On Tue, 8 Aug 2017 05:56:05 -0000 (UTC), bob prohaska
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Tue, 8 Aug 2017 00:12:50 -0000 (UTC), bob prohaska
wrote:

I just acquired a wood office desk made in the 1930's which looks
like it would make a good bench for my South Bend 10k lathe. The

Bob....just a thought.....what is the desks value as a collectable to
a buyer? Will it buy you a nicer and bigger lathe?

Seems unlikely, this desk was sitting on the curb with a "free" note
on it. I did see one listing at an auction site with a closing bid of
$20. It's much nicer in joinery and materials than one finds at Ikea,
but it's not fine furniture by any stretch. I am hesitant to wantonly
vandalize it, which is part of my reluctance to go drilling holes in
the top. It appears to be an unadorned clerk's desk, small, plain and simple.

Thanks for writing,

bob prohaska

The reason I asked this..a friend purchased ..at an estate sale..a
30s writing desk..which he toted home and proceded to make dry flys on
it. A relative happened to stop by from LA...she was an antique
dealer down there..and paid him $2k cash for it on the spot. It
turned out to be a german desk of some sort that was quite popular
with the vintage crowd. Not "mint" by any means either.

https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/ta.../period/1930s/

Some of that stuff is worth a couple bucks.

That being said...just make sure the top is solid and put on a piece
of sheet metal or even linoleum, with a 1" hardwood lip all around to
keep the oily chips from migrating into the kitchen. A buddy did
something similar with a surplus highschool woodworkers bench , and
put a piece of 3/4" plate on top, just big enough to set the lathe on
and bolted it to the plate and loosely lag bolted the plate to the top
of the bench. The plate is big enough to keep the lathe flat and
true and he has been using it for gunsmithing for at least a decade or
more with much joy.

---