Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
bob prohaska bob prohaska is offline

Default Old desk as bench for South Bend 10K lathe

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Tue, 8 Aug 2017 00:12:50 -0000 (UTC), bob prohaska
wrote:

I just acquired a wood office desk made in the 1930's which looks
like it would make a good bench for my South Bend 10k lathe. The

Bob....just a thought.....what is the desks value as a collectable to
a buyer? Will it buy you a nicer and bigger lathe?

Seems unlikely, this desk was sitting on the curb with a "free" note
on it. I did see one listing at an auction site with a closing bid of
$20. It's much nicer in joinery and materials than one finds at Ikea,
but it's not fine furniture by any stretch. I am hesitant to wantonly
vandalize it, which is part of my reluctance to go drilling holes in
the top. It appears to be an unadorned clerk's desk, small, plain and simple.

Thanks for writing,

bob prohaska