Posted to rec.woodworking

Default electric work truck

On Thu, 03 Aug 2017 15:49:41 GMT, (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

Ed Pawlowski writes:
On 8/3/2017 7:59 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

It's 13 miles to work and my employer provides preferred
parking with company-paid chargers to people who drive electrics and
hybrids. So it works fine for me. Most of my driving is the daily commute
and it's usually all-electric.

Seems that some electric drivers thing they are special and should get
free fuel.

I don't see how Clarke's statement supports your assertion.

A company may actually disagree with your position on energy and climate
and choose to offer their employees a benefit that supports their
position on energy and climate. Is that illegal or immoral in your
view?

Pay a premium for your car and you can join our elitist club
and get special parking. I'd be afraid the masses of gas drivers would
throw stones at my car parked there.

Really? Why would you be afraid of that?

Possibly because that's what he would do???

The person two up the chain of command from me drives a Volt. She's an
actuary, I'm pretty sure she knows how to crunch the numbers on
practicality. She also lives farther from work than I do. Of course the
CEO drives a Tesla.

I'd like to see the numbers if she is justifying it on fuel cost
savings. Many greenies don't care about money as much as saving a tree.

Ah, pejorative noted.

The Tesla is a cool car and yes, if I had an extra 100k I'd get one. No
justification needed other than I want one. I'd still need a second car
for longer trips though, the range is good but not so easy for a 600
mile day. Or staying at hotels with no chargers.

As time passes, range anxiety will become less of an issue. However,
one can always rent a car for the weekend/long trips - for much less cost
than keeping a second one around.

And clearly, there are differences for folks that live in rural settings
vs. those who live in dense urban environments - there's no one-size-fits
all solution to transportation, energy supplies or the environment.

About 90% of my driving needs could be met with current all-electric
vehicles. The other 10% would be satisfied by a plug-in hybryd, or
even a simple hybrid, or a car like the Volt with the range extender
engine.
SWince I've virtually always had 2 vehicles (or more) my gasoline
truck could handle anything the electric couldn't - and renting short
term when I want something more comfortable than the truck or need to
take passengers is very affordable.

Unloke MOST of those complaining about electric cars, I have actually
owned and driven (and built) one.