Posted to rec.woodworking
Spalted Walt Spalted Walt is offline

Default electric work truck

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 8/3/2017 11:49 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Ed Pawlowski writes:
On 8/3/2017 7:59 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

It's 13 miles to work and my employer provides preferred
parking with company-paid chargers to people who drive electrics and
hybrids. So it works fine for me. Most of my driving is the daily commute
and it's usually all-electric.

Seems that some electric drivers thing they are special and should get
free fuel.

I don't see how Clarke's statement supports your assertion.

Nor did I say that. It is what I've heard in conversation about
electric cars and subsidies. Just a comment from my observations over
time. Want names?

A company may actually disagree with your position on energy and climate
and choose to offer their employees a benefit that supports their
position on energy and climate. Is that illegal or immoral in your
view?

Did not say that did I? Any time a corporation gives privileges to some
and not others there is potential for bad blood.

Pay a premium for your car and you can join our elitist club
and get special parking. I'd be afraid the masses of gas drivers would
throw stones at my car parked there.

Really? Why would you be afraid of that?

The haves versus the have nots. Human instincts can kick in. M company
paid for all of my gas. I never told anyone else as it was none of
their business.

The person two up the chain of command from me drives a Volt. She's an
actuary, I'm pretty sure she knows how to crunch the numbers on
practicality. She also lives farther from work than I do. Of course the
CEO drives a Tesla.

I'd like to see the numbers if she is justifying it on fuel cost
savings. Many greenies don't care about money as much as saving a tree.

Ah, pejorative noted.

Good. I would not want you to miss it. A lot of people are willing to
pay a premium to be green. That is their decision. Ask Al Gore.

http://www.nationalcenter.org/NPA679.html

o The past year, Gore's home energy use averaged 19,241 kilowatt hours (kWh)
every month, compared to the U.S. household average of 901 kWh per month.
o Gore guzzles more electricity in one year than the average American family
uses in 21 years.
o In September of 2016, Gore's home consumed 30,993 kWh in just one month - as
much energy as a typical American family burns in 34 months.
o During the last 12 months, Gore devoured 66,159 kWh of electricity just heating
his pool. That is enough energy to power six average U.S. households for a year.
o From August 2016 through July 2017, Gore spent almost $22,000 on electricity bills.
o Gore paid an estimated $60,000 to install 33 solar panels. Those solar panels produce
an average of 1,092 kWh per month, only 5.7% of Gore's typical monthly energy consumption.