Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_24_] Frank[_24_] is offline

Default Falling through plasterboard

On Wed, 02 Aug 2017 14:23:47 +0100, Frank "frank wrote:

What is this myth about falling through the ceiling when you're in the
attic? Plasterboard holds my weight easily.

I fell through mine years ago. Just foot went through. Messy in wife's
closet but easy to patch as I did not have to make it that presentable
as you never saw ceiling. Are you confusing lathed plaster with plaster
board?

I've got 10mm plasterboard, attached between 2 foot apart joists, with
support struts across every so often.

Lathed plaster was stopped in the 50s?

Have not been in that section of attic for several years and I was much
lighter and it was not a full body weight step. I think joists are
closer than yours. I have 2 attic sections and this one over 2nd floor
requires crawling up through my closet - no stairs or pull down stairs.

Lot of houses where you live are much older and could have something
different but plaster board here is not tough stuff. We had a carpet
installer last year fall against the living room wall knocking a big
hole in the plaster board.

One of my sons also put a hole in his bedroom wall kicking something.
I've had to repair holes in plasterboard walls several times.