Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Chinese Repair Parts

wrote in message
On Monday, July 31, 2017 at 9:41:37 PM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:

A new brush set fixed my 91 Ranger's starter.
http://www.autozone.com/batteries-st...et/ford/ranger

You might check the alternator brushes. There is a hole for a wire
restrain the brushes while you install the holder assembly.-jsw

I might do some more looking just for grins. Looking at Autozone,
they have replacement brushes for my truck ( a 94 4 cyl. ) for
exactly the same price ( $37.99 including shipping ) as I paid for
the whole starter.

In about 93 Ford changed to a permanent magnet starter with built in
gear reduction. Suppose to have a bunch of advantages. The (
pmgr ) starter will replace the 91 starter ( at least for the 2.3
engine. )

Dan

I have the 2.3l. The original starter draws around 150A when the
engine is warm, according to Autozone's portable clamp-on tester. The
carefully maintained Interstate battery installed in 2002 has dropped
to about 200A, not much of a margin. Can you easily determine the draw
of the PM one?

I'm not too cheap to replace the battery, I'm testing ways to follow
the battery makers' maintenance recommendations. So far monthly top-up
charging and occasional equalizing from my solar panels has worked
well. The battery seems to be in better condition now than a few years
ago when I started checking it and found two weak cells.

It looks like the trickle charger for old batteries should have
adjustable voltage output and voltage and current meters. An LM317 or
LM350 and this meter is enough:
https://www.amazon.com/DROK-Accuracy...FH2SWMD9THBPDP

I haven't found much need for a current limit since the current
automatically decreases as the battery voltage rises, unless it's
badly sulfated.

-jsw