Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Slightly off topic Florescent lights.

On Monday, July 31, 2017 at 10:57:46 PM UTC-5, Spalted Walt wrote:

$11 ea. w/free shipping / direct wire
http://www.ebay.com/itm/25PC-8FT-45W...-/192168789540

$16.95 ea. w/free shipping on orders $99 / direct wire
https://greenlightdepot.com/collecti...ed-linear-tube

$22 ea. + shipping / plug-n-play
https://www.1000bulbs.com/category/8...s-plug-n-play/

I wouldn't buy a bulb from ebay, but those other prices are pretty good. I am on a maintenance schedule with a warehouse and I replace their florescent bulbs with LEDs now.

The way we do it, we use the same fixtures as the florescent bulbs. We disconnect the ballast, and direct wire the fixture bulb ends. We buy a new end connector to replace the florescent style ends ($2 ea.)that pops in after you remove the old end. My electrician can do a complete retrofit of a 4', 4 bulb fixture in about 20 minutes.

That being said, there are direct replacement/retrofit LED bulbs available for many fixtures these days that could keep you from having to have an electrician. Plus, there are many good videos and websites out there that show many options and methods to upgrade to LED.

I am getting more and more interest in that technology due to its long lasting bulb technology. In the warehouse, the savings of time/men/material is obvious. But in a client's home, earlier this year we took out all the florescent fixtures because he is an older gentleman and doesn't want him or his wife getting up to a 10' ceiling anymore, or take the chance of breaking a bulb in his face when trying to install it. Smart guy!

My only thoughts here would be to check your local lighting supply before you buy. I have had terrible luck with HD's model of LED which is a Phillips bulb. Some bulbs I bought from Lowe's were fine, but they quit carrying them. So I go to the local LightBulb Depot and purchase there. They have been in business for a long time, and have their own house brand that has a replacement warranty of 5 years. You take it to them, they hand you a new one. And at least locally, they have good prices and they deliver free of charge for orders over $65. Had to use the warranty once, and they gave me no static.

I don't want to ship a bad bulb purchased at HD to the Phillips assessment location and have them issue a store credit, then go back to the store to buy a bulb, etc. When I had a couple of Phillips bulbs go bad in 6 months after installation and Phillips told me that I had to ship them bulbs to them for inspection I haven't put a Phillips product in since.

Robert