Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John B.[_3_] John B.[_3_] is offline

Default Chinese Repair Parts

On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 23:45:30 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 18:15:39 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

The starter on my Ford Ranger pickup died. I looked on the internet and found a wide range of replacements. The prices ranged from $38 to about $150. The truck is old and will be replaced soon, so I ordered the cheapest. There were two places that had that price. One was in Calif. and from what I could tell tell the other was in Eastern Tenn. Surprise the place in Tenn. was a vendor thru Walmart. Since I am on East Coast, I ordered from Walmart. Another surprise, the tracking started for place in Mass. And the final surprise....
It was brand new manufactured in China.

It arrived late today and I put it on after dinner. It works fine. At that price I was expecting a rebuilt starter.

Dan

They can build them in China for about what it costs to clean them for
rebuilding in North America.

From
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ges_by_country

Nominal hourly salary in China - US$ 0.87
Nominal hourly salary in U.S. - US$10.13

--
Cheers,

John B.