Posted to alt.home.repair
Iggy Iggy is offline

Default Mounting faucet to porcelain sink-Use putty/caulk/silicone?

replying to Ed Pawlowski, Iggy wrote:
Well, I tested and went to full glue-up PVC with elbows off the sinks to the
back wall and ran the p-trap parallel instead of perpendicular to the wall.
You now, finally, see Ikea and a few p-trap manufacturers doing this in very
crappy versions. But, at least, 7/8's of the cabinet remains wide open and
I've made removable drawer units for a number of kitchen and bath sink
cabinets...the cabinet is emptied in seconds by just lifting out 1 or 2 drawer
units.

And, guess what I put on each end of the assembly, yes right on the drain's
shank and right up to the wall's nipple or elbow. Unions! Yep unions, can't be
knocked loose nor off and only need to be hand snug to stay bone dry. But
still, every plumber I've run across outright rejects and completely ignores
them. Clients have and can easily drop the assembly to retrieve something and
pop it back together flawlessly in just a minute...that's when they call to
have their other sinks re-done correctly.

If, a plumber comes to snake the drain deeper in the system, they only need to
bring their snake. I even had a few clients fire plumbers on the spot who
whipped out power saws to hack up the assembly and wouldn't relent nor even
try to listen or figure out what they were looking at. 2 times I had plumbers
calling me gushing with how foolproof and simple the assembly was to work with
and that they'd be trying it out.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ne-248903-.htm