Posted to alt.home.repair
Iggy Iggy is offline

Default Mounting faucet to porcelain sink-Use putty/caulk/silicone?

replying to trader_4, Iggy wrote:
Ready for a new faucet in a nothing 10-years? Disposable Society Idiots that
accepts crap at every turn as "Value", I guess...like Plumber's Putty
(guaranteed future hack-work).

Actually, she's directing and instructing about faucet installation, by a
monkey-see-monkey-do "Master" Plumber that frequently does some quite
laughable plumbing.

Plumber's Putty is what everyone wants? Sure, if you like replacing rotted out
drains, scrubbing off mold and mildew or just enjoy replacing the easily
avoidable water damaged cabinet...YAY, Plumber's Putty! (how many decades does
it take to stop banging your head against the wall?)

I do see rubber washers quite often. Absolutely, I've seen plenty of Putty
Jobs that are even 50-years old, no drips but definitely leaking past the
"cured" cracked, loose and powdery Putty and rotting out the drain. Just
waiting for the underside rubber washer to finally let loose. I did my drains
with Silicone 30-years ago and dropped the locknut and washer to find
nothing's loose, stained, rusted or changed from day one. You, can't do that
and don't have that.

Yep, I do quite a bit of the hack-work replacements and provide a My Lifetime
As A Handyman Warranty for my replacements. No-one's made a claim yet and I've
been called back for more projects as much as 20-years later to still find no
complaint nor change from when it went it. My stainless Drain Flanges, Basket
Strainers, Pivot Rods and Locknuts still all look and act brand new.

Jack of many trades and True Master of most of them. You don't want to know
about my drain assemblies, but my clients love, carry on and swear by
them...where I get most of my referrals actually.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ne-248903-.htm