Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Sharpening Stones

On 7/29/2017 2:09 AM, wrote:
Snip

That was a great post, Bob.

I learned to sharpen free hand when I was a very young kid, as my Dad got me a knife early on and checked it often to make sure I kept it sharp. He subscribed to the "sharp knives don't cut people, but dull knives do". I had a knack for it, and always had a knife in my pocket, even in elementary school, and it was always sharp.

So uh, I was in the back yard surveying the new sprinkler system that we
had installed on Monday. Along the back fence and near one of the
pop-up misters I saw a wire sticking out of the ground about 10". I
walked over and pulled on it thinking that it was a piece that did not
get picked up during the install. It did not give at all.

Humm, did they cut through one of the many cables that are in that
section of easement? Looking closer I thought I saw a center wire.
Well, it was obviously cut and me cutting the exposed section was not
going to do any more harm.

So in a fashion similar to rolling a wire along the edge of your knife
to cut through and strip the insulation, I proceeded. OUCH!

It was a root!