Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default Brass security screws?

Fredxxx wrote:

On 22/07/2017 13:31, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:
On Sat, 22 Jul 2017 12:36:09 +0100, Bob Minchin
wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:
I am about to fix a small brass plate to the front door. The door is
black, with brass door furniture, so it should look OK (after I've
cleaned the rest of the brass!)

I'd like to use some brass screws, but wondered about security screws in
case some scrote decides to nick it (not sure how likely this is, though).

Can you get brass security screws, or are they too soft to work? Even
Torx or Torx+pin would be good; I don't really want the 'one way' ones.

I doubt that you can get brass ones.
I'd opt for stainless steel and a home blackening kit if you want them
to blend in with the door or even a dab of black paint.

Another Bob

There used to bi a trick before security screws came along where one
would file or even cut an angle on the edges of a slotted screw heads
slot. Before

Modified

\|
|\

As the above hopefully depicts, the screw can be tightened, but trying
to turn the screwdriver anticlockwise allows the driver to rotate
rather than turn the screw. A small incline will push the screwdriver
out as it rotates.

The screw is in for good though it would have to be "extracted".

I would have thought an impact driver, depending on the precise use,
could be used to turn a difficult screw.

Or a hacksaw/Dremel cut at right angles to the original one.

--

Roger Hayter