Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Brass security screws?

On Sunday, 23 July 2017 18:39:42 UTC+1, wrote:
I'm sorry to hear you've never found the need for your nuts.
Nearly every electrical backbox contains a pair.

I thought they were flanges, but if you prefer nuts that's up to you.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Sunday, 23 July 2017 16:31:47 UTC+1, charles wrote:
In article , charles
wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr wrote:
On Sunday, 23 July 2017 15:33:04 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
l.net, Dave
Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 23 Jul 2017 10:42:00 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

*Any* 3.5mm nuts may take some finding. ;-)

Full nut, steel, BZP, M3.5 Farnell: 1419448

Oh - indeed. I meant in terms of popping down your local shed to
get them. Last time I looked, Screwfix didn't have them.

if you do electrical diy you'll have plenty sitting about.

Screws of various lengths, yes; a tap for opening out old 4BA holes,
but screws? I've never found the need.

sory, I meant "nuts".

I'm sorry to hear you've never found the need for your nuts. Nearly every
electrical backbox contains a pair.

all the backboxes that I've used have tapped holes on the lugs. I can't
quite see how to fit a nut. Perhaps glue it to the lug?

NT

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Jul 2017 11:22:17 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

Your link contains no payment details.

When you say 'can pay me' I assume this is a voluntary payment.

Out of interest, do you find this a lucrative exercise?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 23 Jul 2017 10:42:00 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

*Any* 3.5mm nuts may take some finding. ;-)

Full nut, steel, BZP, M3.5 Farnell: 1419448

Oh - indeed. I meant in terms of popping down your local shed to get
them. Last time I looked, Screwfix didn't have them.

if you do electrical diy you'll have plenty sitting about.

Screws of various lengths, yes; a tap for opening out old 4BA holes, but
screws? I've never found the need.

The screws are easy enough to find. It's the nuts which are more difficult.

--
*No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver,purple

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) brought next idea :
*Any* 3.5mm nuts may take some finding. ;-)

I think I have a few in a box somewhere..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/07/2017 23:00, Rod Speed wrote:

"dennis@home" wrote in message
web.com...
On 22/07/2017 16:39, John Rumm wrote:

If someone came and parked a van saying doors and windows outside your
house and then started to work on your front door do you really think
anyone would take any notice?

Unlikely they would spend that much on their van just to get a brass plate.

Someone as stupid as you may well be that stupid.

Are you assuming that someone will take care unscrewing a brass plate to
steal it? More likely the thief with use a crow/wreaking bar to lever
it off in 5 seconds leaving a damaged front door.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2017 14:24, John Rumm wrote:

Indeed, one of the ironies of HiVis clothing - it makes you invisible.

Especially if wearing a peaked hat to make it look "official".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/07/2017 15:18, John Rumm wrote:

Probably would work on steel security screws.

My experience with brass coated steal screws is that the rust shows
through quite quickly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 Jul 2017 18:24:29 +0100, alan_m
wrote:

On 23/07/2017 14:24, John Rumm wrote:

Indeed, one of the ironies of HiVis clothing - it makes you invisible.

Especially if wearing a peaked hat to make it look "official".

What do we use now instead of a clipboard?
Using one of those is now out of date so you would probaby stand out.
I have an old Psion orginisir somewhere in a drawer, I suppose that
would look the part as I Punch the keys randomly.
Iphones and Ipads would look too generic.

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 Jul 2017 18:26:45 +0100, alan_m
wrote:

On 22/07/2017 15:18, John Rumm wrote:

Probably would work on steel security screws.

My experience with brass coated steal screws is that the rust shows
through quite quickly.

Love that new name for security screws you did there.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2017 18:26, alan_m wrote:
On 22/07/2017 15:18, John Rumm wrote:

Probably would work on steel security screws.

My experience with brass coated steal screws is that the rust shows
through quite quickly.

Use stainless screws as a base then...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxxx wrote:

On 22/07/2017 13:31, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:
On Sat, 22 Jul 2017 12:36:09 +0100, Bob Minchin
wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:
I am about to fix a small brass plate to the front door. The door is
black, with brass door furniture, so it should look OK (after I've
cleaned the rest of the brass!)

I'd like to use some brass screws, but wondered about security screws in
case some scrote decides to nick it (not sure how likely this is, though).

Can you get brass security screws, or are they too soft to work? Even
Torx or Torx+pin would be good; I don't really want the 'one way' ones.

I doubt that you can get brass ones.
I'd opt for stainless steel and a home blackening kit if you want them
to blend in with the door or even a dab of black paint.

Another Bob

There used to bi a trick before security screws came along where one
would file or even cut an angle on the edges of a slotted screw heads
slot. Before

Modified

\|
|\

As the above hopefully depicts, the screw can be tightened, but trying
to turn the screwdriver anticlockwise allows the driver to rotate
rather than turn the screw. A small incline will push the screwdriver
out as it rotates.

The screw is in for good though it would have to be "extracted".

I would have thought an impact driver, depending on the precise use,
could be used to turn a difficult screw.

Or a hacksaw/Dremel cut at right angles to the original one.

--

Roger Hayter